Registration - In-house Organization
Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers / Association Canadienne des Producteurs Pétroliers / Tim McMillan, President and CEO
Version 114 of 123 (2017-02-01 to 2017-04-13)
- Aboriginal Affairs
- Employment and Training
- Internal Trade
- International Trade
- Regional Development
- Science and Technology
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Canadian Petroleum Resources Act related to ensuring fairness and practicality in future amendments to the Act.
- Customs Tariff Act related to fair and practical import duties on mobile offshore drilling units and other specialized vessels associated with the offshore petroleum industry.
- National Energy Board related to a comprehensive review and modernization to ensure workability and practicality.
- North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) with respect to adding a heading Note to Chapter 27 under the NAFTA Rules of Origin to clarify that the origin of diluent is to be disregarded.
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution, Policies or Program, Regulation
- Canadian Labour Code, Part II Occupational Health & Safety and associated Regulations including the Canada Occupational Health & Safety Regulations (COHS) related to clear, practical and efficient policy and regulation for workplace health & safety under federal legislation.
- Constitutionally protected Aboriginal rights, title and treaty rights and the development of legislation, regulations or policies that facilitate efficient, effective and meaningful consultation within the context of resource development.
- Excise Tax Act and related Regulations, as well as policies and programs, related to providing input and views to any of Finance Canada, Canada Revenue Agency and/or Canada Border Services Agency on taxes and duties administered under the Act and related Regulations, as well as policies and programs, that affect the upstream petroleum industry (e.g. GST/HST) and to providing feedback and recommendations on new initiatives to ensure efficiency, practicality and fairness.
- Ministerial review of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act and Regulations and ongoing development of fair and practical policy for environmental assessment and cumulative effects assessment and management.
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution, Regulation
- Energy Safety and Security Act and Regulations to address financial liability and penalties seeking practicality and fairness.
- Mackenzie Valley Resource Management Act and Regulations - Analyzing proposed Act amendments to the Mackenzie Valley Resource Management Act and Regulations and how that may impact our explorers in the central Mackenzie Valley to ensure competitiveness, practicality and fairness.
- Pipeline Safety Act in regard to ensuring practical and fair associated regulatory proposals.
Policies or Program
- Aboriginal education and training related to establishment or an open, transparent and common policy framework of options for engaging aboriginal communities and businesses in resource development partnerships and economic opportunities.
- Advocacy related to extending employment insurance benefits for employees in areas affected by low commodity prices which expire in 2017.
- Budgets or economic updates related to taxation of the upstream oil and gas sector and implementation of new or proposed budget-related tax initiatives affecting the upstream oil and gas sector for competitiveness and fairness.
- Canadian Energy Strategy related to national level alignment on energy priorities
- Comprehensive Land Claims Policy and Settlements and Protected Areas Strategy with regard to practical and workable policy for land use planning, protected areas, and parks planning.
- Consultation and advocacy related to providing views on marine safety, including proposed oil tanker moratorium.
- Critical infrastructure and cyber security - practical and efficient oil and gas critical infrastructure protection and cross-border security program.
- Discussions and advocacy related to providing views to Government Officials with respect to legalization of marijuana, including workplace implications and occupational health and safety issues (i.e. high incidence of cannabis use amongst fatally injured workers); and ensuring the right stakeholders are engaged in the process.
- Emissions targets related to practicality and fairness of the provision of air pollutant and greenhouse gas emission forecasts for use in the development of emissions targets.
- Energy supply and demand fundamentals related to consistent approaches for energy supply and demand forecasts.
- Federal/Provincial Regulatory Jurisdiction related to potential policy of delineation of federal-provincial resource management/responsibilities to ensure workability and practicality.
- Fisheries Act related to fair and practical implementation of the Fisheries Act and policies.
- Flaring research related to providing technical input on research related to upstream oil and gas flaring activities and the associated air emission by-products to ensure clarity, consistency and efficiency.
- Fuel Gas Efficiency related to industry participation in federal fuel gas efficiency pilot programs under the Canadian Industry Program for Energy Conservation and Fuel Efficiency to ensure openness, transparency and common frameworks.
- Hydraulic fracturing related to providing technical input to Environment and Climate Change Canada and Natural Resources Canada on hydraulic fracturing studies and any policy discussions relevant to shale gas/tight gas/tight oil activities to ensure workability and practicality.
- Innovation policies and clean technology funding initiatives that affect the upstream petroleum industry and providing feedback and recommendations to ensure efficiency, effectiveness, practicality and fairness.
- Labour market policies and programs related to human resources, immigration and labour issues as they impact the oil and gas industry.
- National Energy Board related to Emergency Management Programs and Emergency Procedures Manuals of companies, including workable process and practical form of publication of programs, manuals, safety, security and emergency management.
- National Energy Board related to provision of feedback (discussions) on Departmental Results Framework to ensure workability and practicality.
- National Pollutant Release Inventory related to consultation for the development of a workable program for reporting requirements and protocols, and pollutant emission factors.
- Natural gas related to workability and competitiveness in relation to the development and implementation of programs for communications and public outreach; the development of economic policy and environmental policy for the production of natural gas, including natural gas from shale; and policies that support innovation and technology as well as access to export markets.
- Offshore Boards Cost Recovery to ensure fairness related to the cost of operations charged to pipelines for the Canada-Nova Scotia Offshore Petroleum Board and Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board.
- Offshore land tenure system related to potential modifications to the offshore land tenure system in Atlantic Canada to ensure practicality and workability.
- Oil Sands regarding practical implementation of oil sands monitoring and the joint Canada-Alberta Implementation Plan for oil sands monitoring.
- Oil Sands related to workability and competitiveness in relation to the development and implementation of programs for communications and public outreach; the development of environmental policy for the production of oil from the oil sands; oil spill response and recovery policy; and policies that support innovation and technology as well as access to export markets.
- Program of Energy Research and Development (PERD) related to ensuring funding for oil and gas research and development.
- Seeking clarity and consistency related to reporting standards for Canadian extractive industries under the Extractive Sector Transparency Measures Act.
- Species at Risk Act related to efficient and workable implementation policies and programs.
- Strategic Environmental Assessment in Canada's Arctic related to providing input to ensure fairness and practicality.
- Supply/Stand-by boat guidelines in relation to participation in the possible development of a new guidance document for supply/stand-by boat guidelines to replace Transport Canada document TP7920E to ensure practicality, efficiency and workability.
- Sustainable Development policy and programs related to balanced consideration of social, economic and environmental values and implications for industry.
- Technological Innovation related to potential enhancement of Canada's research and innovation policy.
- Temporary Foreign Workers Program related to potential improvement and streamlining the Temporary Foreign Workers Program.
- Terms of Letter procedures related to renewal of leases on Port Metro Vancouver Lands to ensure practicality and workability.
- Trans Mountain Pipelines related to providing views favourable to the oil and gas industry on Trans Mountain's expansion project.
- TransCanada PipeLines Mainline related to providing views favourable to the oil and gas industry on TransCanada's Mainline proposed repurposing to oil service.
- United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea Article 82 related to clarity and competitiveness for offshore royalties.
Policies or Program, Regulation
- Air Quality Management System related to technical and policy input to Environment and Climate Change Canada and Health Canada on related plans, programs and regulations.
- Canadian Environmental Protection Act - Environmental Emergencies Regulation (Part 8).
- Canadian Environmental Protection Act and Regulations: Clarity and practicality of Sections 2, 3, 6, 10, 22 - 38, 56 - 63, 64 - 89, 90 - 115, 138 - 163, 166 - 191, 343 and Schedule 1 - related to the 5-year review, greenhouse gas industry regulations, air pollutant regulations.
- Climate change policies and regulations and associated greenhouse gas emissions policies and pricing mechanisms that affect the upstream petroleum industry and providing feedback and recommendations on initiatives to ensure efficiency, practicality and fairness.
- Drilling and Production Regulations and policies re: consultation for workable and practical Regulations and policies dealing with flow testing.
- Ensure clear and predictable policies and regulations. A forum for inter- and intra-agency and department discussion to promote coordination of issues, programs and requirements, as well as to resolve issues of regulatory and policy overlap, including a common regulatory approach across provinces for Lifecycle Asset Management Programs. Regulatory improvements in process and timelines to drive efficiency and expediency. Implementation of short term regulatory measures to mitigate unforeseen market signals resulting from the Redwater decision. Advance the environmental performance, economic growth and energy security and reliability. Implementation of programs and policies that will help regulators assist in enhancing public confidence.
- Fisheries Act to ensure workability and practicality of any protection provisions contemplated during the review.
- Halocarbon Regulations and policies related to offshore halocarbon discharges to ensure workability and practicality.
- Income Tax Act related to providing input and views to Finance Canada and/or Canada Revenue Agency on corporate tax programs and tax credits administered under the Act that affect any part of the upstream petroleum industry including pre-budget submissions, meetings and committee appearances to ensure competitiveness, fairness and practicality.
- Migratory Birds Convention Act related to input to Environment and Climate Change Canada on related plans, programs and regulations to ensure workability and practicality.
- National Energy Board Onshore Pipeline Regulation (OPR), under the NEB Act, policy and regulation for oil and gas companies who are responsible for meeting the requirements of the OPR to manage safety, security and environmental protection throughout the entire lifecycle of their facilities, from design through to construction, operation and abandonment.
- National Marine Conservation Areas Act related to workability and practicality of policy and regulations for oil and gas activity within marine protected areas.
- Occupational Health and Safety Regualtions - Potential offshore health and safety proposals in the policies or programs and regulations under the Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Atlantic Canada Accord Implementation Act and the Canada-Nova Scotia Atlantic Canada Accord Implementation Act respecting occupational safety and health of employees employed in respect of the exploration or drilling for or the production, conservation, processing or transportation of petroleum in the Newfoundland offshore area.
- Oceans Act with regard to consultant for the workable establishment by regulation of integrated management areas.
- Pipeline Regulation and jurisdiction related to clarity, efficiency and workability for technical, policy and jurisdictional issues.
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) (land/marine) related to proposed and possible changes to TDG regulations and policies to ensure workability and practicality.
- Canadian Environmental Assessment Act (CEAA) related to practical and efficient implementation of CEAA 2012 Designated Activities Regulations.
- Canadian Environmental Assessment Act and associated Regulations related to new requirements for inclusion of upstream Greenhouse Gas emissions and seeking practical and fair impacts.
- Canadian Environmental Protection Act and Regulations to establish a transparent and common framework related to risk assessments and regulations pertaining to the Domestic Substances List and the Chemicals Management Plan.
- Federal Draft Regulatory Model for Methane Emissions Reduction in relation to recommending alternative solutions for fugitives, compressors, venting, pneumatics and well completions, including recommending development of consistent measurement and reporting requirements, flexibility in regulations, progress checks, different requirements for new and existing equipment, standardization of language in federal and provincial regulations, and development of innovative technological solutions.
- Installation Regulations related to proposed new Newfoundland Offshore Petroleum Installations regulations under the Canada–Newfoundland Atlantic Accord Implementation Act.
- Marine Personnel Regulations related to ensuring Atlantic Canada offshore oil and gas marine regulated positions are fair and practical.
- Migratory Birds Convention Act Regulations related to potential efficient and practical process for obtaining permits for Incidental Take.
- Species At Risk Act related to proposed Regulations for permits authorizing an activity and seeking practical and workable approaches.
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Grass-roots communication
- websites, presentations, meetings
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
- Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
- Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency (CEAA)
- Canadian Heritage (PCH)
- Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency (CanNor)
- Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS)
- Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA)
- Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
- Environment and Climate Change Canada
- Finance Canada (FIN)
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO)
- Global Affairs Canada
- Health Canada (HC)
- House of Commons
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
- Infrastructure Canada
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- Justice Canada (JC)
- National Defence (DND)
- National Energy Board (NEB)
- Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Office of the Commissioner of Lobbying (OCL)
- Parks Canada
- Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
- Privy Council Office (PCO)
- Public Safety Canada (PS)
- Public Services and Procurement Canada
- Saint John Port Authority
- Senate of Canada
- Statistics Canada
- Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB)
- Transport Canada (TC)
- Vancouver Fraser Port Authority (Port Metro Vancouver)
- Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
The Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP) represents companies, large and small, that explore for, develop and produce natural gas and crude oil throughout Canada. CAPP’s member companies produce about 85 per cent of Canada’s natural gas and crude oil. CAPP's associate members provide a wide range of services that support the upstream crude oil and natural gas industry. Together CAPP's members and associate members are an important part of a national industry with revenues from crude oil and natural gas production of about $120 billion a year. CAPP’s mission, on behalf of the Canadian upstream crude oil and natural gas industry, is to advocate for and enable economic competitiveness and safe, environmentally and socially responsible performance.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Tim McMillan, President and CEO
Organization's membership or classes of membershipRegular members are those engaged in the exploration, development and production of hydrocarbons and related by-products. Associate members are those who are engaged in the transmission or distribution of hydrocarbon products; who are engaged in the marketing of hydrocarbon products; or who are engaged in providing other services to the producing community. Associate members are non-voting members of CAPP.
Government fundingNo government funding was received during the last completed financial year.
In-house Organization Contact Information
2100, 350 - 7 Avenue S.W.
Calgary, AB T2P 3N9
Fax number: 403-266-3123
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- Terry Abel, Executive Vice President | No public offices held
- Vicki Ballance, Director, Climate & Innovation | No public offices held
- Paul Barnes, Manager, Atlantic Canada and Arctic | Public offices held
- Nancy Berard-Brown, Manager, Oil Markets and Pipelines | Public offices held
- Ben Brunnen, Vice President, Oil Sands | No public offices held
- Linda Clarke, Health and Safety Analyst | No public offices held
- Lee Coonfer, BC Outreach Advisor | No public offices held
- Tricia Donnelly, Manager, Member & Government Liaison | No public offices held
- Ritch Fairbairn, Manager, Natural Gas Markets | Public offices held
- Claudette Fedoruk, Health and Safety Analyst | No public offices held
- Alex Ferguson, Vice President, Policy and Performance | No public offices held
- Jeff Gaulin, Vice President, Communications | No public offices held
- Brad Herald, Vice President, Western Canada | No public offices held
- Katie Kachur, Oil Sands Advisor | No public offices held
- Chelsie Klassen, Manager, Media Relations | No public offices held
- Salima Loh, Policy Advisor, Environment | No public offices held
- Jennifer Matthews, HSE Policy Analyst | No public offices held
- Patrick McDonald, Manager, Oil Sands | Public offices held
- Brian McGuigan, Manager, Aboriginal Policy | Public offices held
- Tim McMillan, President and CEO | No public offices held
- Geoff Morrison, Manager, British Columbia | No public offices held
- Stuart Mueller, Mnager, Supply & Transportation | No public offices held
- Tara Payment, Manager, Water Policy | No public offices held
- Erin Peachey, Operations Analyst | No public offices held
- Krista Phillips, Manager, Oil Sands | No public offices held
- Stephen Rodrigues, Manager, Research | No public offices held
- Robert Rolfe, Fiscal and Economic Policy Analyst | Public offices held
- Nick Schultz, Vice President, Pipeline Regulation & General Counsel | No public offices held
- Sherry Sian, Manager, Environment | No public offices held
- Shireen Symonds, Sr. Assistant, HSE Analyst | No public offices held
- Nancy Wicks, Communications & Policy Advisor | No public offices held
- Richard Wong, Manager, Operations | No public offices held