- Employment and Training
- Regional Development
- Research and Development
- Small Business
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution, Regulation
- Grain Handling and Transportation System: Lobbying for changes to the Canada Transportation Act as it related to the regulation of the western Canadian grain handling and transportation system and the maximum grain revenue entitlement program.
Policies or Program
- Communicating with the Ministers of Transportation and Agriculture and Agri-food regarding the Canadian grain handling and transportation system. Lobbying for the continuance of the maximum revenue entitlement program and the extension of interswitching provisions intended to increase competition in the rail freight industry. As well, for the implementation of some recommendations made through the Canadian Transportation Act Review including the provision of additional authority to the Canada Transportation Agency to resolve disputes.
- Environmental policies specifically ecological goods and services as it relates to Growing Forward III policy framework under Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada.
- Next Policy Framework in the areas of business risk management including changes to the AgriStability program to return payment triggers to 85%, and AgriInvest to return matching contributions to 1.5% as they were until 2011. As well, for increased funding to the various programs focused on research, innovation, food safety, environmental protection, farm and worker safety, and other strategic initiatives.
- Producer payment security for agricultural sales not covered by the Canadian Grain Commission's payment security mechanism.
Policies or Program, Regulation
- Lobbying for changes to the Temporary Foreign Workers Program with respect to agricultural workers, including the elimination of the cumulative duration (four-year maximum) regulation [R200(3)(g)], under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR), which came into effect April 1, 2011, and establishes a maximum duration that a foreign worker can work in Canada.
- Canada Grain Act, formerly Bill C-13, with respect to the producer security mechanism and inward weighing and inspection under the Canadian Grain Commission. Replace for existing bonding system with an insurance based program is expected.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA)
Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
Finance Canada (FIN)
House of Commons
Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
Transport Canada (TC)
Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD)
Government institutions added through a monthly communication report
- Canadian Grain Commission (CGC)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
To coordinate the efforts of agricultural producers throughout Manitoba for the purpose of promoting their common interests through collective action to assists members and, where necessary, government, in and for promoting agricultural policies to meet changing economic conditions; and to collaborate and cooperate with producers outside of Manitoba to further this objective. To promote and advance acceptance of positive social, economic and environmental conditions of those engaged in agriculture.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Organization's membership or classes of membership
Individual members and provincial commodity and special interest groups.
No government funding was received during the last completed financial year.
In-house Organization Contact Information
203-1700 Ellice Ave
Winnipeg, MB R3H 0B1
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- James Battershill,
General Manager |
No public offices held