Registration - In-house Organization
World Society for the Protection of Animals / Société Mondiale pour la Protection des Animaux / Elizabeth Sharpe, Communications Director
Total Number of Communication Reports: 99
Monthly communication reports in the last 6 months: 0
Version 22 of 22 (2019-10-29 to present)
Subject Matter Details
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit
- Related to our work to address abandoned, lost and otherwise discarded fishing gear (ALDFG or ‘ghost fishing gear’), we will be seeking grant funding to undertake projects to remove lost fishing gear and/or reduce and mitigate the impacts of abandoned, lost and otherwise discarded fishing gear (ALDFG or ‘ghost fishing gear’). World Animal Protection will also be encouraging the federal government to provide financial assistance to the Global Ghost Gear Initiative, a multi-stakeholder alliance with goal of address the problem.
Policies or Program
- World Animal would like to see the Government of Canada do more to address the problem of abandoned, lost and otherwise discarded fishing gear (ALDFG or ‘ghost fishing gear’) by instituting requirements in their fisheries policies that help to prevent or mitigate lost gear, support local initiatives to recover or encourage proper disposal of gear, or other prevention and mitigation efforts. We will also be encouraging the government to support the Global Ghost Gear Initiative.
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Grass-roots communication
- Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
- Finance Canada (FIN)
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO)
- Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
- House of Commons
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
World Animal Protection is the operating name of World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA)– Canada, an international animal welfare organization and a Canadian registered charity. For more than 50 years and in more than 50 countries, World Animal Protection has been preventing animal cruelty and inspiring people to change animals’ lives for the better. We work with local partners, governments and businesses to find practical solutions for people and animals alike. By collaborating with the United Nations and other international bodies, we put animal welfare on the global agenda because it is a fundamental part of a sustainable future.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Elizabeth Sharpe, Communications Director
Organization's membership or classes of membershipWorld Animal Protection Canada has more than 300,000 supporters in Canada and 6 voting members on its Board of Directors. The Canadian organization is a member of World Animal Protection International and one of 15 country offices around the world. World Animal Protection has consultative status with the United Nations and the Council of Europe. We are also an associate member of the Commonwealth Veterinary Association.
Government fundingNo government funding was received during the last completed financial year.
In-house Organization Contact Information
960 - 90 Eglinton Avenue East
Toronto, ON M4P 2Y3
Fax number: 416-369-0147
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- Lynn Kavanagh, Campaign Manager, Oceans and Wildlife | No public offices held
- Melissa Matlow, Campaign Director | No public offices held