- Aboriginal Affairs
- Constitutional Issues
- Economic Development
- Employment and Training
- Government Procurement
- Internal Trade
- International Trade
- Regional Development
- Science and Technology
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit
- Advocating for increased funding to the apprenticeship incentive grant, the completion grant and the continuation of the UTIP funding.
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Advocate for legislation to support the future and livelihood of workers and their communities for a Just Transition as Canada moves to a low-carbon economy.
- Discussion around the Public Service Superannuation Act (P.C. 2014-900 July 31, 2014) and the impact on the management of the Canadian Nuclear Laboratories (Chalk River) and impact and future of the pension plan for the employees of Chalk River
- Discussions around concerns with C-76 - An Act to amend the Canada Elections Act and other Acts and to make certain consequential amendments
- Federal Budget - with respect to infrastructure funding and tax incentives for skilled labour
Policies or Program
- Advocating for a program to promote labour mobility between areas of higher unemployment and labour shortages. This program would grant favoured tax status to participants (workers) in the construction and maintenance sector travelling to obtain full time employment in a trade deemed to be experiencing labour shortages.
- Amendments to the Red Seal Program with respect to the criteria of certification
- Climate Canada's approach to climate change, regulation of industrial pollution and monitoring of green house gas emissions like carbon. The impact on employment opportunities for skilled trades workers in Canada and the effect on training opportunities in primary and emerging industries.
- Discussions on Apprenticeship & Training, Employment and Skills Development, and the Red Seal Secretariat to continue to promote and use the Red Seal Program Assist with National Occupational Competencies analysis for various trades and occupations.
- Economic Action Plan Knowledge Infrastructure Program - working to ensure our training centres are eligible / qualify for Knowledge Infrastructure program
- Foreign Workers Program - regarding to Foreign Credentials and Temporary Workers
- NAFTA (USMCA) agreement with the United States and Mexico, and the impact it could have on manufacturing, construction, infrastructure, labour mobility, climate change, energy and labour standards.
- Pipeline projects - discussing the benefits to the economy and employment of these type of projects in Canada
- Possible negotiations for a Free Trade Agreement with China and the impact it could have on manufacturing, construction, infrastructure, labour mobility, climate change, natural resources, energy, public services, health care, utility/electricity sector and labour standards.
- Possible negotiations for a Free Trade Agreement with the Pacific Alliance and the impact it could have on manufacturing, construction, infrastructure, labour mobility, climate change, natural resources, energy, public services, health care, utility/electricity sector and labour standards.
- Possible negotiations relating to the MERCOSUR Free Trade Agreement and the impact it could have on manufacturing, construction, infrastructure, labour mobility, climate change, natural resources, energy, public services, health care, utility/electricity sector and labour standards.
Policies or Program, Regulation
- Discussions around concerns with Federal Government procurement practices, introduction of modern Federal Fair Wages legislation, the use of unskilled labour and under-qualified contractors.
- Discussions on the Employment Insurance system and positive changes that can be made to better protect workers.
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL)
Canada Industrial Relations Board (CIRB)
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA)
Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS)
Canadian Coast Guard (CCG)
Canadian Energy Regulator (CER)
Canadian Heritage (PCH)
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC)
Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA)
Defence Construction Canada (DCC)
Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
Finance Canada (FIN)
Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO)
Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
Health Canada (HC)
House of Commons
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB)
Infrastructure Canada (INFC)
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
Justice Canada (JC)
National Capital Commission (NCC)
National Defence (DND)
National Research Council (NRC)
Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)
Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (OPC)
Office of the Procurement Ombudsman (OPO)
Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
Privy Council Office (PCO)
Public Safety Canada (PS)
Public Service Labour Relations Board (PSLRB)
Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC)
Senate of Canada
Service Canada (ServCan)
Statistics Canada (StatCan)
Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB)
Transport Canada (TC)
Treasury Board Of Canada Secretariat (TBS)
Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
The First District of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) represents 70,000 workers in Canada in various sectors. For more information please visit our website at www.ibewcanada.ca
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
International Vice-President District 1
Organization's membership or classes of membership
The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) is made up of 11 districts, Canada represents the First District. The IBEW First District is made up of approximately 81 Local Unions across the country in various sectors including construction, utility, telephone, railroad and manufacturing.
No government funding was received during the last completed financial year.
In-house Organization Contact Information
300-1450 Meyerside Drive
Mississauga, ON L5T 2N5
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- Thomas Reid,
International Vice-President District One |
No public offices held
- Matthew Wayland,
Executive Assistant to the International Vice President & Canadian Director of Government Relations |
No public offices held