- Aboriginal Affairs
- Arts and Culture
- Bilingualism/Official Languages
- Consumer Issues
- Economic Development
- Employment and Training
- Financial Institutions
- Government Procurement
- Internal Trade
- Regional Development
- Small Business
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit
- Support or investment in the Canadian Co-operative Investment Fund which provides patient capital and lending to finance the capitalization of new and emerging co-operatives. The fund exists and was set up with $25 million from the co-operative sector.
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit, Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Review and propose changes to the Income Tax Act, in terms of the treatment of Indivisible Reserves in co-operatives.
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit, Policies or Program
- Discuss the pro-active inclusion of co-operatives and social enterprises, in the procurement process
- Investments in co-operative-led programs to provide bridges to employment, support entrepreneurship, safeguard local businesses, create jobs and make life more affordable for Canadians, in particular women, newcomers, Indigenous people, youth, and Canadians living in rural communities.
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- To review and propose possible changes to the Canadian Co-operative Act
- To review, discuss concerns and/or changes to the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA), to protect the integrity of co-operative member rights in relation to other legislation.
Policies or Program
- Educating roles and opportunities of co-operatives in meeting the needs of Canada
- Encourage government to educate public servants to the unique qualities and challenges faced by co-ops
- Social Innovation and Social Finance Fund. Advocating for accessibility and a greater role for representative bodies in regards to both the initial readiness stream and eventual access to SISF funding for co-operatives and mutuals.
- To expand the definitions and exemption criteria so that all qualifying co-operatives can remain eligible for the Small Business Deduction (SBD).
- To maintain a working relationship with various departments, particularly Innovation, Science and Industry and Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade, to promote the Co-operative Sector in Canada
- To promote the business advantages of co-operatives to government, in particular programs, services and intermediary agencies linked of Innovation, Science and Industry as well as Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade.
- To promote the renewal of the Tax-deferred Co-operative Share Program to help agricultural co-operatives meet their capitalization needs and remain a viable option for agribusinesses while allowing Canadian co-operatives to be stronger in the face of international competitors.
- Understanding by the federal government for specialized co-op development programs that will help start and grow new and existing co-ops within specific sectors or populations.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC)
Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
Canadian Heritage (PCH)
Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency (CanNor)
Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada (CIRNAC)
Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev)
Finance Canada (FIN)
Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO)
Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
House of Commons
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
Indigenous Services Canada (ISC)
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC)
Rural Economic Development (Minister’s Office)
Senate of Canada
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
Statistics Canada (StatCan)
Treasury Board Of Canada Secretariat (TBS)
Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
Co-operatives and mutuals Canada / Coopératives et mutuelles Canada (CMC) brings co-operatives, credit unions, caisse populaires and mutuals together to support and promote a distinct co-operative alternative embracing both economic and social objectives. CMC speaks with a unified voice and acts in concert to strengthen the co-operative, credit union and mutual members here in Canada
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Organization's membership or classes of membership
Co-operatives and mutuals Canada / Coopératives et mutuelles Canada (CMC) represents three classes or memberships: Full members, associate members and friends.
End date of the last completed financial year:
List of Government Funding
Funding Received in Last Financial Year
Funding Expected in Current Financial Year
Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
In-house Organization Contact Information
275 Bank Street Suite 400
Ottawa, ON K2P 2L6
Employees who lobby for the organization