Registration - In-house Organization
The Canadian Real Estate Association / L'association Canadienne de L'immeuble / MICHAEL BOURQUE, Chief Executive Officer
Version 62 of 79 (2015-10-29 to 2016-03-31)
- Aboriginal Affairs
- Constitutional Issues
- Consumer Issues
- Employment and Training
- Financial Institutions
- Intellectual Property
- Internal Trade
- International Relations
- International Trade
- Justice and Law Enforcement
- Science and Technology
- Small Business
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Federal Budget with respect to tax measures to permit the rollover of Recaptured Capital Costs, working to enhance the value through indexation of the Registered Retirement Savings Plan Home Buyers' Plan for Canadian homebuyers, as well as enabling home buyers to re-use the Home Buyers' Plan after significant life events.
- Income tax act with regard to indexing the Home Buyers' Plan to the Consumer Price Index, as well as enabling home buyers to re-use the Home Buyers' Plan after significant life events.
- Income tax act with regard to the deferral of capital cost allowance recapture for real property investments.
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution, Policies or Program
- Immigrant Investor Program with respect to the review of the program and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act with respect to immigrant investment in Canada
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution, Regulation
- Income Tax Act and regulations with respect to the more than five employee test to qualify as an active business for real estate
- Lobbying Act and related regulations with respect members of boards of directors of non-profit organizations
- Species at Risk Act with respect to compensation provisions
Policies or Program
- Anti-Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing Policy with respect to the National Risk Assessment with respect to its impact on REALTORS(R).
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation policy with respect to serving underserved markets with mortgage default insurance, policy with respect to mortgage default insurance deductibles and role as a public sector provider of mortgage default insurance.
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation with respect to the composition of its Board of Directors
- Canadian government's role with respect to the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) as it impacts the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act and regulations.
- Comprehensive Financial Consumer Code with respect to mortgage policy
- First-Time Home Buyers' Tax Credit with respect to impact on first-time homebuyers.
- Implementation of Code of Conduct for Federally Regulated Financial Institutions—Mortgage Prepayment Information with respect to enhancing borrower awareness
- Marihuana Grow Operations (MGO) and clandestine labs with respect to registries of former MGOs and clandesine labs and remediation standards.
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Canadian Real Estate Association and PWGSC, re: the disposal of federal surplus property
- Mortage financing rules under the juridiction of the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions
- Registered Retirement Savings Plan Home Buyers' Plan - Working to enhance the value of the program through indexation for Canadian home buyers.
- Risk Based Approach guidance provided by the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Sector with respect to its impact on REALTORS(R).
Policies or Program, Regulation
- Budget 2014 commitment to reduce the burden of complying with the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act (PCMLTFA) requirements that necessitate searches of 19 separate sanctions and known terrorist lists.
- Implementation of Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation and accompanying regulations and interpretive guidance with respect to electronic messages sent by REALTORS(R).
- Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act with respect to the implementation of the Regulations Amending the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Regulations published in the Canada Gazette Part II on February 13, 2013 and the guidance provided by FINTRAC as a result of those regulations and their impact on real estate agents and brokers.
- Marihuana for Medical Purposes Regulations (MMPR) with respect to licensing, disclosure and remediation of production sites, and disclosure and remediation of properties licensed under the Marihauna Medical Access Regulations (MMAR).
- National Do Not Call List - implementation. Working to ensure compliance with all regulations.
- Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act - regulations regarding reporting requirements
- The Canadian Aviation Regulations with respect to the use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles for use for real estate listings.
- The Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing (PCMLTF) with respect to compliance regarding mere postings on Multiple Listing Service (R) Systems, and application to For Sale By Owner Companies and auctioneers.
- The Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing (PCMLTFA) with respect to a threshold for and reduced compliance for small business.
- The mortgage insurance guarantee framework with respect to changes to mortgage financing rules for homebuyers
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Grass-roots communication
- Telephone calls, Informal communications, Grass-roots communications
- Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)
- Canadian Heritage (PCH)
- Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada
- Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
- Environment Canada
- Finance Canada (FIN)
- Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC)
- Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (FINTRAC)
- Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
- Health Canada (HC)
- House of Commons
- Industry Canada
- Justice Canada (JC)
- Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)
- Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC)
- Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions Canada (OSFI)
- Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
- Privy Council Office (PCO)
- Public Works and Government Services Canada
- Revenue Canada (RC)
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)
- Senate of Canada
- Solicitor General Canada (SGC)
- Statistics Canada (StatCan)
- Transport Canada (TC)
- Treasury Board Of Canada Secretariat (TBS)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) is one of Canada's largest single-industry trade associations, representing more than 100,000 REALTORS(R), 100 real estate boards, 10 provincial associations and one territorial association. CREA owns the MLS® trademark and has a proprietary interest in the REALTOR® trademark. The REALTOR® trademark is an assurance of integrity used by members of CREA who accept and respect a strict Code of Ethics. The real estate database systems operated by our member boards and associations under the MLS® trademark provide an ongoing inventory of available properties and ensure maximum exposure of properties listed for sale. The association also operates the mls.ca and icx.ca property listing website.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Gary Simonsen, Chief Executive Officer
Organization's membership or classes of membershipThe Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) has a membership of more than 100,000 REALTORS®. These include real estate brokers/agents and salespeople who also hold membership in 100 local boards, 10 provincial associations and one territorial association. The majority of members are residential practitioners involved in the purchase and sale of homes. However, a significant number are specialists in the fields of industrial, commercial and investment real estate.
Government fundingNo government funding was received during the last completed financial year.
In-house Organization Contact Information
200 Catherine Street
Ottawa, ON K2P 2K9
Fax number: 613-234-2567
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- Shaun Cathcart, Senior Economist | No public offices held
- Nicole Christy, Project Coordinator | No public offices held
- GREGORY KLUMP, Chief Economist | Public offices held
- Anna Laurence, Government Relations Officer | Public offices held
- Randall McCauley, Vice President, Government and Public Relations | Public offices held
- Allison McLure, Legal Counsel | No public offices held
- Dina McNeil, Director, Government Relations | Public offices held
- Simon Parham, Legal Counsel | Public offices held
- Gary Simonsen, Chief Executive Officer | No public offices held