Registration - In-house Organization
Society of Composers, Authors & Music Publishers of Canada / Société canadienne des auteurs, compositeurs et éditeurs de musique (SOCAN) / Eric Baptiste, Chief Executive Officer
Total Number of Communication Reports: 57
Monthly communication reports in the last 6 months: 0
Version 25 of 25 (2019-11-18 to present)
- Arts and Culture
- Intellectual Property
- International Trade
Subject Matter Details
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Copyright Act (including the scheduled 2017 Review) with respect to protection and promotion of authors' rights and royalties
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution, Policies or Program
- Extend copyright term for authors in line with EU and U.S. policy.
Policies or Program
- Communicating with Public Office Holders as follow up to The Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage's Recommendation #1 from the Review of the Canadian Music Industry Report: "The Committee recommends that the Government of Canada examine the time that it takes for decisions to be rendered by the Copyright Board of Canada ahead of the upcoming review of the Copyright Act so that any changes could be considered by the Copyright Board of Canada as soon as possible."
- Allowing the digital assigning of copyright by adding the Copyright Act to Schedule 2 of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Canadian Heritage (PCH)
- Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT)
- Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)
- House of Commons
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
- Justice Canada (JC)
- Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
- Privy Council Office (PCO)
- Senate of Canada
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
SOCAN is the Canadian copyright collective for the public performance of musical works. It administers the performing rights of its members (composers, lyricists, songwriters and their publishers) and those of affiliated international societies by licensing the use of their music in Canada. The fees collected are distributed as royalties to our members and to affiliated performing rights societies throughout the world. SOCAN also distribute royalties received from those societies to its members for the use of their music worldwide. SOCAN has offices in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton and Dartmouth.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Eric Baptiste, Chief Executive Officer
Organization's membership or classes of membershipSOCAN's members are songwriters, composers, lyricists and music publishers.
Government fundingNo government funding was received during the last completed financial year.
In-house Organization Contact Information
41 Valleybrook Drive
Toronto, ON M3B 2S6
Fax number: 416-442-3831
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- Genevieve Cote, Chief Quebec Affairs Officer | No public offices held
- Gilles Daigle, General Counsel & Head of Legal Services | No public offices held