Registration - In-house Organization
CANADIAN ASSOCIATION OF RECYCLING INDUSTRIES / ASSOCIATION CANADIENNE DES INDUSTRIES DU RECYCLAGE / Tracy Shaw, President and CEO
Total Number of Communication Reports: 1
Monthly communication reports in the last 6 months: 0
Version 38 of 38 (2019-09-17 to present)
- Employment and Training
- Government Procurement
- Internal Trade
- International Trade
- Justice and Law Enforcement
- Research and Development
- Science and Technology
- Small Business
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Periodic reviews of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) and the definitions in the hazardous wates section.
Policies or Program
- Encouraging World Trade Organization to include recyclable commodities and materials necessary to the recycling industry on the Environmental Goods Agreement.
- Encouraging collaboration with the Canadian recycling industry in the Canada-wide Action Plan on Zero Plastic Waste.
- Encouraging the inclusion of scrap metals and the recycling industry in the Canadian Minerals and Metals Plan.
- Presenting concerns over barriers to trade regarding China's Revision of the Environmental Protection Control Standards for Imported Solid Wastes.
Policies or Program, Regulation
- Addressing interests of Canada's recycling industry in the review of the Annexes of the United Nations - Environment Programme (UN-EP) Basel Convention.
- Encouraging the creation of appropriate regulations to prevent theft of critical infrastructure materials.
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Grass-roots communication
- Canada Industrial Relations Board (CIRB)
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
- Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC)
- Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA)
- Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
- Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
- Finance Canada (FIN)
- Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
- Health Canada (HC)
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
- National Defence (DND)
- National Research Council (NRC)
- Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)
- Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (OPC)
- Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
- Public Service Commission of Canada (PSC)
- Statistics Canada (StatCan)
- Transport Canada (TC)
- Treasury Board Of Canada Secretariat (TBS)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
THE CANADIAN ASSOCIATION OF RECYCLING INDUSTRIES (CARI) PROVIDES THE OPPORTUNITY FOR COMPANIES TO EXCHANGE INFORMATION OF ALL TYPES AT COMMITTEE MEETINGS, REGIONAL CHAPTER MEETINGS, THE ANNUAL CONVENTION AND EXHIBITION, AND ALL SOCIAL EVENTS. IT IS THE RESOURCE CENTRE FOR MEMBERS, PROVIDING SERVICES AND INFORMING THEM OF ONGOING ACTIVITIES IN RECYCLING THROUGH BULLETINS AND A MONTHLY NEWSLETTERS. CARI ACTS AS THE ADVOCATE FOR THE INDUSTRY AT ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT AND DEVELOPS PROMOTIONAL AND EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS THAT EXPLAIN THE INDUSTRY AND ITS SIGNIFICANCE IN ORDER TO DEVELOP A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF THE VALUE OF RECYCLING TO THE CANADIAN SOCIETY AND ECONOMY. CARI ALSO INTERACTS WITH OUR COUNTERPARTS IN THE U.S. AND EUROPE TO COLLECTIVELY ADDRESS THE INTERNATIONAL CHALLENGES TO THE INDUSTRY.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Tracy Shaw, President and CEO
Organization's membership or classes of membershipCARI CURRENTLY HAS ABOUT 255 MEMBERS THAT WORK WITH ALL RECYCLED COMMODITIES, BUT THE MAJORITY DEAL MAINLY OR EXCLUSIVELY IN METAL RECYCLING. ACTIVE MEMBER COMPANIES ARE PRIMARILY SCRAP DEALERS (RANGING FROM INDIVIDUAL SCRAP COLLECTORS TO TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED CAPITAL-INTENSIVE PROCESSING PLANTS), CONSUMERS OF RECYCLED MATERIALS AND TRADERS. EQUIPMENT AND SERVICE SUPPLIERS ARE ASSOCIATED MEMBERS AND GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS IN THE INDUSTRY ARE AFFILIATED MEMBERS.
Government fundingNo government funding was received during the last completed financial year.
In-house Organization Contact Information
Ottawa, ON K1P 5G4
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- Tracy Shaw, President and CEO | Public offices held