Registration - In-house Organization
HUMAN RIGHTS WATCH, INC / Jasmine Herlt, Vice President
Version 13 of 15 (2018-04-17 to 2019-08-01)
- Aboriginal Affairs
- Constitutional Issues
- Financial Institutions
- International Relations
- International Trade
- Justice and Law Enforcement
Subject Matter Details
Policies or Program
- Aboriginal Affairs We have asked that the PM strike a national inquiry regarding the murdered and missing indigenous women and girls
- Defence We hope that Canada will stand up for better protections for students, teachers, and schools during times of armed conflict by endorsing the Safe Schools Declaration.
- Financial Institutions We would like to work with the Canadian government to reform international financial institutions to ensure that they too are required to respect human rights.
- Health Ensure the adequate availability and accessibility of palliative care at all levels of care, in particular in light of the government's implementation of the Supreme Court ruling in Carter vs. Canada on physician-assisted dying
- International Relations Hold China and Uzbekistan to account for their human rights violations and work with foreign governments to secure the release of Canadians detained abroad.
- Justice and Law Enforcement Urging the Canadian government to again provide robust support for the International Criminal Court
- We have asked the government to provide better access to water and sanitation in First Nations communities in Northern Ontario
- Labour Canada should introduce regulations to provide incentives or require international apparel brands domiciled in Canada to make non-financial, human rights-related disclosures.
- Mining Urging the Canadian government to regulate the human rights practices of Canadian mining companies abroad
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Grass-roots communication
- Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT)
- Correctional Service of Canada (CSC)
- Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
- Health Canada (HC)
- House of Commons
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
- International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
- Justice Canada (JC)
- National Defence (DND)
- Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
- Privy Council Office (PCO)
- Public Safety Canada (PS)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
Human Rights Watch, Inc. is a registered charity in Canada that benefits the community by advancing education on human rights issues through research,publications, lectures and awards.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Jasmine Herlt, Vice President
Organization's membership or classes of membershipHuman Rights Watch, Inc has 5 Board of Directors. In addition, we have a volunteer Committee composed of individuals from a variety of backgrounds. The Committee members meet regularly to hear presentations regarding human rights issues and support the work of the charity by addressing outreach and fundraising.
Government fundingNo government funding was received during the last completed financial year.
In-house Organization Contact Information
1 Eglinton Avenue East, Suite 510
Toronto, ON M4P 3A1
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- Farida Deif, Canada Director | No public offices held
- Jasmine Herlt, Vice President | No public offices held
- Amanda Klasing, Senior Researcher | No public offices held