- Aboriginal Affairs
- Employment and Training
- International Trade
- Justice and Law Enforcement
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit
- Infrastructure: ongoing need for financial support for municipal infrastructure through the New Building Canada Fund and Gas Tax Program
- Need for additional funding programs for rural infrastructure.
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Actively lobbied and supported the federal governments efforts to resolve the trade issues regarding Country of Origin Labelling (COOL).
- Cannabis Act and regulations; mitigating potential risks to municipalities resulting from legalization.
- Carbon tax; impact of carbon tax on Saskatchewan’s agricultural producers and municipalities.
- Fisheries Act; ensure it effectively balances the need for habitat protection with the need for municipal infrastructure development.
- Navigation Protection Act; placed administrative and financial burdens on municipal infrastructure projects. SARM is concerned that the 2012 amendments will be reversed.
- Participating in consultations on reducing violent crime consultations and position against bringing in a long gun registry.
- Rural Crime with respect to amending acts and regulation in relation to firearms.
- Species at Risk Act (SARA); mitigating negative effects of SARA.
- Trade Agreements; including Comprehensive Economic Trade Agreement (CETA) and United States Mexico Canada Agreement (USMCA), our request is to better international trade for agriculture producers.
- Transportation Modernization Act; SARM participating in consultation to promote efficient and effective grain transportation.
Policies or Program
- Agriculture and transportation with respect to the humane transportation of livestock.
Free Trade Agreements - continued need for access to international markets / Growing Forward 2 - continued need for support programs
- Agriculture: Business Risk Management Program Suite under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership - In particular requesting changes to the AgriStability Program to provide enhanced support for producers.
- Broadband - requesting government investment to enhance services in rural Saskatchewan. “Use it or lose it” provisions in spectrum allocation and unused spectrum.
- Canadian Agriculture Partnership; ensuring that it serves to maintain and increase the competitiveness of the agricultural sector.
- Chronic wasting disease; policies to prevent the spread of chronic wasting disease.
- Disaster Financial Assistance Arrangements (DFAA); with respect to increasing the compensation for use of municipally owned equipment
- Emergency response fund; the establishment of an emergency response fund will give fire departments the resources they need to continue providing essential services without risk of non-payment.
- Energy Infrastructure - Advance the notion that pipelines safer mode of transportation than rail to the Canadian Energy Regulator.
- Federal support for municipalities and agricultural producers in Saskatchewan in relation to the Economic Response Plan.
- Infrastructure funding; ensuring eligibility requirements and thresholds allow rural municipalities to access infrastructure funding.
- International trade with respect to Canola exports.
- Municipal access to Canada-Saskatchewan Job Grant.
- Mutual aid agreements; formalizing mutual aid agreements is important because RMs need assurance that they will be reimbursed for providing emergency services to neighbouring municipalities and First Nations.
- National Disaster Mitigation Program; to ensure mitigation projects and strategically and effectively undertaken.
- New Building Canada Fund; eligibility requirements and thresholds.
- Provide comments on the need for improvements to the Temporary Foreign Workers (TFW) program.
- RCMP presence in rural Saskatchewan. Preventing rural crime.
- Rail Safety; Transporting dangerous goods by rail. Grade crossing improvements.
- Requesting federal government lead the fight to prevent spread of aquatic invasive species throughout Canada and Saskatchewan’s waters.
- Requests to maintain a Gas Tax Fund and to reduce related administrative requirements for RMs.
- Telecommunications: Spectrum Licenses for Mobile Broadband Servcice - essential need for Broadband access in rural Canada
- The Rural Municipal (RM) Tax Loss Compensation Trust Fund tied to Treaty Land Entitlement agreements continues to decrease and appears to be unsustainable without municipalities absorbing significant reduction in monies from the fund.
- Water treatment systems; alternative water treatment technologies continue to be explored and, where feasible, applicable regulations and guidelines be updated to allow for the most efficient use of those technologies.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
Canadian Energy Regulator (CER)
Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)
Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA)
Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
Finance Canada (FIN)
Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO)
Health Canada (HC)
House of Commons
Indigenous Services Canada (ISC)
Infrastructure Canada (INFC)
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
Justice Canada (JC)
Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)
Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
Public Safety Canada (PS)
Senate of Canada
Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB)
Transport Canada (TC)
Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD)
End date of the last completed financial year:
List of Government Funding
Funding Received in Last Financial Year
Funding Expected in Current Financial Year
Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
Province of Saskatchewan - Immigration and Career Training
Client Contact Information
2301 Windsor Park Road
Regina, SK S4V 3A4
Jay Meyer, Executive Director
Parent Company Information
Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities is not a subsidiary of any other parent companies.
Coalition Members Information
Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities is not a coalition.
Individual, organization or corporation with a Direct Interest Beneficiary Information
The activities of Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities are not controlled or directed by another individual, organization or corporation with a direct interest in the outcome of this undertaking.
Subsidiary Beneficiary Information
Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities does not have any subsidiaries that could have a direct interest in the outcome of the undertaking
No public offices held
Assiniboia, SK S0H 0B0
Consultant relationship to the client
- The registrant is on the board of directors for this organization.