- Employment and Training
- International Trade
- Justice and Law Enforcement
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit, Policies or Program
- Federal support for municipalities and agricultural producers in Saskatchewan in relation to the Economic Response Plan.
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Actively lobbied and supported the federal governments efforts to resolve the trade issues regarding Country of Origin Labelling (COOL).
- Cannabis Act and regulations; mitigating potential risks to municipalities resulting from legalization.
- Carbon Fuel Standards Act; in regard to the impact it will have on Western Canada
- Fisheries Act; ensure it effectively balances the need for habitat protection with the need for municipal infrastructure development.
- Justice and Law Enforcement with regard to amending acts and regulations in relation to firearms.
- Navigation Protection Act; placed administrative and financial burdens on municipal infrastructure projects. SARM is concerned that the 2012 amendments will be reversed.
- Participating in consultations on reducing violent crime consultations and position against bringing in a long gun registry.
- Species at Risk Act (SARA); mitigating negative effects of SARA.
- Trade Agreements; including Comprehensive Economic Trade Agreement (CETA) and United States Mexico Canada Agreement (USMCA), our request is to better international trade for agriculture producers.
- Transportation Modernization Act; SARM participating in consultation to promote efficient and effective grain transportation.
Policies or Program
- Agriculture: Business Risk Management Program Suite under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership - In particular requesting changes to the AgriStability Program to provide enhanced support for producers.
- Broadband - Requesting government investment to enhance services in rural Saskatchewan. “Use it or lose it” provisions in spectrum allocation and unused spectrum.
- Canadian Agriculture Partnership; ensuring that it serves to maintain and increase the competitiveness of the agricultural sector.
- Carbon tax; impact of carbon tax on Saskatchewan’s agricultural producers and municipalities.
- Chronic wasting disease; policies to prevent the spread of chronic wasting disease.
- Emergency response fund; the establishment of an emergency response fund will give fire departments the resources they need to continue providing essential services without risk of non-payment.
- Energy Infrastructure - Advancing the notion that Pipelines are a safer mode of transportation than rail to the Canadian Energy Regulator.
- Financial assistance programs for agricultural producers, ensuring that they serve to maintain and increase competitiveness and success of the agricultural sector.
- Infrastructure funding programs for municipalities with regard to the need for continued and increased levels of funding.
- Infrastructure funding; ensuring eligibility requirements and thresholds allow rural municipalities to access infrastructure funding.
- International trade with respect to Canola exports
- Municipal access to Canada-Saskatchewan Job Grant.
- Mutual aid agreements; formalizing mutual aid agreements is important because RMs need assurance that they will be reimbursed for providing emergency services to neighbouring municipalities and First Nations.
- National Disaster Mitigation Program; to ensure mitigation projects and strategically and effectively undertaken.
- New Building Canada Fund; eligibility requirements and thresholds.
- Provide comments on the need for improvements to the Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) program.
- RCMP presence in rural Saskatchewan. Preventing rural crime.
- Rail Safety; Transporting dangerous goods by rail. Grade crossing improvements.
- Requesting federal government lead the fight to prevent spread of aquatic invasive species throughout Canada and Saskatchewan’s waters.
- Requests to maintain a Gas Tax Fund and to reduce related administrative requirements for RMs.
- Rural Crime; in regard to potential need for provincial police force
- The Canada Infrastructure Bank - Irrigation infrastructure for agriculture in Saskatchewan
- The Rural Municipal (RM) Tax Loss Compensation Trust Fund tied to Treaty Land Entitlement agreements continues to decrease and appears to be unsustainable without municipalities absorbing significant reduction in monies from the fund.
- Water treatment systems; alternative water treatment technologies continue to be explored and, where feasible, applicable regulations and guidelines be updated to allow for the most efficient use of those technologies.
Policies or Program, Regulation
- Transportation policy and regulation with regard to grain and grain products and products for agriculture generally.
- Disaster Financial Assistance Arrangements (DFAA); with respect to increasing the compensation for use of municipally owned equipment.
- Federal Election; how COVID-19 public health challenges and measures may impact voter participation in rural municipalities, and recommendations to facilitate voter participation amidst the pandemic.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
Canadian Energy Regulator (CER)
Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)
Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA)
Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
Finance Canada (FIN)
Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO)
Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
Health Canada (HC)
House of Commons
Indigenous Services Canada (ISC)
Infrastructure Canada (INFC)
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
Justice Canada (JC)
Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)
Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
Public Safety Canada (PS)
Senate of Canada
Statistics Canada (StatCan)
Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB)
Transport Canada (TC)
Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD)
End date of the last completed financial year:
List of Government Funding
Funding Received in Last Financial Year
Funding Expected in Current Financial Year
Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
Province of Saskatchewan - Immigration and Career Training
Client Contact Information
2301 Windsor Park Road
Regina, SK S4V 3A4
Jay Meyer, Executive Director
Parent Company Information
Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities is not a subsidiary of any other parent companies.
Coalition Members Information
Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities is not a coalition.
Individual, organization or corporation with a Direct Interest Beneficiary Information
The activities of Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities are not controlled or directed by another individual, organization or corporation with a direct interest in the outcome of this undertaking.
Subsidiary Beneficiary Information
Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities does not have any subsidiaries that could have a direct interest in the outcome of the undertaking
No public offices held
Cupar, SK S0G 0Y0
Consultant relationship to the client
- The registrant is on the board of directors for this organization.