Lobbying Commissioner of Canada releases her 2017-18 Annual Report
Ottawa, — The Commissioner of Lobbying Canada, Nancy Bélanger, has tabled her 2017-18 Annual Report. The report highlights the Office’s activities and achievements to ensure lobbying at the federal level is conducted ethically and in a transparent manner.
As this report covers the period of April 1, 2017 to March 31, 2018, the activities and achievements featured in this report are divided between former lobbying Commissioner Karen E. Shepherd and new Commissioner Nancy Bélanger who was appointed on December 30, 2017.
Read the 2017-18 Annual Report:
I am pleased to publish my first report as Commissioner of Lobbying. The year 2017-18 was one of transition for the Office and I’m eager to build on the achievements listed in the annual report. The year ahead will be an exciting one for the Office as we begin to implement a new three-year strategic plan aimed at enhancing transparency and accountability of federal lobbying activities."
– Nancy Bélanger, Commissioner of Lobbying of Canada
- In 2017-18, 9,084 lobbyists registered with the Office.
- Over 23,000 monthly communication reports (MCRs) were filed, 94% of which were filed on time.
- The top 5 subject matters listed in MCRs were: international trade; environment; health; industry; and taxation and finance.
- The top 5 government institutions listed in MCRs were: House of Commons; Innovation, Science and Economic Development; Global Affairs Canada; Finance Canada; and the Prime Minister’s Office.
- The OCL responded to over 6,000 enquiries. The majority were related to registration requirements and procedures.
- James Carroll was prohibited from engaging in registrable lobbying activity at the federal level for a period of nine months.
- A former designated public office holder, Trina Morissette, was found to be in breach of the Lobbyist’s Code of Conduct for lobbying while being subject to a 5-year prohibition on lobbying.
- Two files were referred to the RCMP for investigation.
- An MOU was signed between the Commissioner of Lobbying and the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner on matters related to outreach and education.
- Registry Search and Statistics
- Prohibition on lobbying – James Carroll
- Reports on Investigation – The Lobbying Activities of Trina Morissette
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Commissioner of Lobbying and the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner
For media enquiries, please contact:
For general enquiries, please contact: