RegulationsThere are two sets of regulations that accompany the Lobbying Act.
The Lobbyists Registration Regulations prescribe the following:
- the form and manner of all returns to be filed, including monthly communication reports for consultant and in-house lobbyists; and
- the type of lobbying activity to be reported in a monthly communication report.
The Designated Public Office Holder Regulations prescribe 14 positions or classes of positions as "designated" public offices. These positions include:
(designated on July 2, 2008)
- Chief of the Defence Staff
- Vice Chief of the Defence Staff
- Chief of Maritime Staff
- Chief of Land Staff
- Chief of Air Staff
- Chief of Military Personnel
- Judge Advocate General
- Any position of Senior Advisor to the Privy Council to which the office holder is appointed by the Governor in Council
- Deputy Minister (Intergovernmental Affairs) Privy Council Office
- Comptroller General of Canada
- Any position to which the office holder is appointed pursuant to paragraph 127.1(1)(a) or (b) of the Public Service Employment Act.
(designated on September 20, 2010):
- The position of member of the House of Commons
- The position of member of the Senate
- Any position on the staff of the Leader of the Opposition in the House of Commons or on the staff of the Leader of the Opposition in the Senate, that is occupied by a person appointed pursuant to subsection 128(1) of the Public Service Employment Act.