Registration - In-house Organization
Alliance of Manufacturers & Exporters Canada (CME) / Alliance des manufacturiers et des exportateurs du Canada (MEC) / Dennis Darby, President & CEO
Version 37 of 51 (2016-05-09 to 2016-10-01)
- Aboriginal Affairs
- Consumer Issues
- Economic Development
- Employment and Training
- Financial Institutions
- Government Procurement
- Intellectual Property
- Internal Trade
- International Relations
- International Trade
- Justice and Law Enforcement
- Regional Development
- Research and Development
- Science and Technology
- Small Business
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Federal budget with respect to federal taxation systems, advocate to assist business to be competitive by allowing for access to liquidity, improvement to tax treatment of investments in productive technologies, innovation, skills development and research development. This includes: a legislative review of SR&ED program, adopting a reciprocity policy for infrastructure projects, create national clusters of advanced manufacturing for automation, industrial robotics and additive manufacturing, fix withholding requirements for international workers, clarify treatment of government grants and risk-sharing contributions under the Income Tax Act, adopt the patent box tax regime in Canada to help commercialization of Canadian Innovation.
- Legislative review of Export Development Canada (EDC) Act, to ensure proper resources are given to EDC for the continuation of EDC's role of assisting Canadian businesses succeed in global markets.
Policies or Program
- Advocate against the use of plain packaging policies for products such as tobacco.
- Advocate for a national regulatory simplification and reform initiative including the full implementation of the Regulatory Cooperation Council.
- Advocate for a national manufacturing and exporting strategy that includes innovation and investment supports, skills development and effective trade policies.
- Advocate for a simplified and harmonized Chemicals Management Plan with respect to implementation.
- Advocate for an increase in the investment supports and funding available to manufacturers.
- Advocate for comprehensive harmonized policy and investment strategies that support Canadian manufacturers' ability to access and develop the efficient and effective labour force they require to sustain and grow business in respect to literacy and essential skills, manufacturing related occupational standards, technical innovation and entrepreneurship, labour, immigration and Foreign Workers.
- Advocate for reform to the Temporary Foreign Workers Program to make it easier for manufacturers and exporters, especially small and medium sized businesses, to access the program by reducing associated regulatory and paper burden.
- Advocate for the finalization and implementation of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP).
- Advocate for the government of Canada to negotiate a Sub-national procurement agreement to open markets between Canada and the United States.
- Advocate for the government of Canada to negotiate various details of the Canada-Europe Free Trade Agreement (CETA)
- Advocate for the implementation of trade remedy modernization.
- Advocate for the increase in Canada's di minimus values to align to global norms.
- Advocate for the support of Work Integrated Learning programs, and other similar programs/initiatives that address the skills gap and provide pathways between education and employment.
- Climate change and clean air, promote the coordination of federal and provincial policies and legislation, participate in the development of policies in the areas of mitigation, carbon pricing, adaptation and innovation and technological progress.
- Domestic Substances List, categorization process with respect to development of the priority lists.
- Encouraging the Government of Canada to consider the economic, public health and national security implications of the Integrity Framework and proposing amendments to the existing policy that would allow the government to balance its intent to enforce more stringent procurement practices with broader industry concerns relating to the need for greater certainty, due process and remediation.
- Intellectual Property Rights, advocate for amendments to the Customs Tariff to ensure that intellectual property rights can be enforced by border officials.
- Review of Federal government services geared toward the expansion of Canadian exports and exporters generally including review of the Trade Commissioner Services, Export Development Canada and Canadian Commercial Corporation, including the alignment of services, streamlining access and sharing of best practices.
- The adoption in Canada of a patent box model to provide a tax incentive for commercialization of new products in Canada
Policies or Program, Regulation
- Advocate for the simplification, modernization and harmonization of the Canada's border regulations, including Beyond the Border.
- Advocate for amending Regulation 105 of the Income Tax Act so that taxes are not witheld for workers providing business services to Canada.
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Grass-roots communication
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
- Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
- Atomic Energy Control Board (AECB)
- Bank of Canada
- Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC)
- Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
- Canada Labour Relations Board (CLRB)
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
- Canadian Commercial Corporation (CCC)
- Canadian Heritage (PCH)
- Canadian Human Rights Tribunal (CHRT)
- Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT)
- Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA)
- Competition Tribunal (CT)
- Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
- Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
- Export Development Canada (EDC)
- Farm Products Council of Canada (FPCC)
- Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev)
- Federal Office of Regional Development – Quebec (FORD[Q])
- Finance Canada (FIN)
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO)
- Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
- Health Canada (HC)
- House of Commons
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
- Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB)
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
- Infrastructure Canada (INFC)
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
- Justice Canada (JC)
- Members of the House of Commons
- National Defence (DND)
- National Energy Board (NEB)
- National Research Council (NRC)
- Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC)
- Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
- Privy Council Office (PCO)
- Public Safety Canada (PS)
- Public Service Commission of Canada (PSC)
- Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC)
- Revenue Canada (RC)
- Senate of Canada
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- Standards Council of Canada (SCC)
- Statistics Canada (StatCan)
- Strategic Aerospace and Defence Initiative (SADI)
- Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB)
- Transport Canada (TC)
- Treasury Board Of Canada Secretariat (TBS)
- Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC)
- Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
ALLIANCE OF MANUFACTURERS & EXPORTERS CANADA OPERATING AS CANADIAN MANUFACTURERS & EXPORTERS (CME) IS A NATIONAL ASSOCIATION REPRESENTING THE INTERESTS OF CANADIAN MANUFACTURERS & EXPORTERS. CME IS CANADA'S LEADING BUSINESS NETWORK COMMITTED TO STRENGTHENING THE COMPETITIVENESS OF CANADIAN INDUSTRY AND ENABLING THE SUCCESS OF CANADIAN BUSINESSES IN WORLD MARKETS BY AGRESSIVELY AND EFFECTIVELY INFLUENCING GOVERNMENT THINKING AND ACTION AND BY DELIVERING TIMELY, RELEVANT INFORMATION AND SUPPORT OF SUPERIOR QUALITY AND VALUE
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Jayson Myers, President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Organization's membership or classes of membershipCME'S MEMBERS ARE DRAWN FROM ALL SECTORS OF CANADA'S MANUFACTURING AND EXPORTING COMMUNITY, AND FROM ALL PROVINCES AND TERRITORIES. OVER 80% OF CME'S MEMBERS ARE SMALL AND MEDIUM-SIZED ENTERPRISES. THE ASSOCIATION ALSO REPRESENTS CANADA'S LEADING GLOBAL ENTERPRISES. TOGETHER CME'S MEMBERS ACCOUNT FOR AN ESTIMATED 75% OF TOTAL MANUFACTURING PRODUCTION IN CANADA AND 90% OF CANADIAN EXPORTS.
End date of the last completed financial year: 2016-03-31
|Government Institution||Funding Received in Last Financial Year||Funding Expected in Current Financial Year|
|Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)||$224,077.00||Yes|
|Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)||$2,626,062.00||Yes|
|Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev)||$5,393,950.00||Yes|
|Global Affairs Canada (GAC)||$28,704.00||Yes|
|National Research Council (NRC)||$26,204.00||Yes|
|Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)||$731,105.00||Yes|
|Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD)||$344,402.00||Yes|
In-house Organization Contact Information
55 Standish Court
Mississauga, ON L5R 4B2
Fax number: 613-563-9218
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- PAUL CLIPSHAM, POLICY DIRECTOR (ONTARIO) | No public offices held
- Frank Defalco, Communication Specialist, National Programs | No public offices held
- DAVID HAIRE, VICE PRESIDENT, NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR | No public offices held
- Michael Holden, Director, Policy and Economist | No public offices held
- IAN HOWCROFT, VICE PRESIDENT (ONT) | No public offices held
- JOSÉ LOUIS JACOME, VICE PRESIDENT, DEVELOPMENT & COMMUNICATIONS (QUEBEC) | No public offices held
- RON KOSLOWSKY, VICE PRESIDENT (MB) | No public offices held
- Martin Lavoie, Director, Manufacturing Competitiveness & Innovation Policy | Public offices held
- Pierre Leger, Directeur | No public offices held
- Marie Morden, Manager, Stakeholder Relations | No public offices held
- JAYSON MYERS, PRESIDENT | No public offices held
- Joel Richardson, Vice President, NB & PEI Divisions | No public offices held
- Philip Turi, General Counsel & Director, Global Business Services | No public offices held
- Mathew Wilson, Vice President, National Policy | No public offices held