- Consumer Issues
- Economic Development
- Employment and Training
- Internal Trade
- International Relations
- International Trade
- Regional Development
- Small Business
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit
- Request funding from Global Opportunities for Associations Program (GOA) International Marketing assistance from Global Affairs Canada and funding from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada with regard to Aircraft Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO)
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Consultations with the Canadian Transportation Agency on their Regulatory Modernization Initiative to update the regulation and legislation that is out of date.
- Discuss existing and contemplated changes to the Canadian Transportation Act on licensing and accessibility issues with the Canadian Transportation Agency.
- Formerly known as Bill C-7, An Act to amend the Aeronautics Act and to make consequential amendments to other Acts with regard to all sections, particularly the provisions enabling safety management systems and the protection of safety data from public dissemination.
- Participation in stakeholder consultation with Health Canada on regulatory matters with regard to public safety and costs to the industry.
- Passenger Bill of Rights, Foreign Ownership, Joint Ventures and the possible cost impacts to our industry. (Formerly known as Bill C-49 Transportation Modernization Act)
Policies or Program
- Discussion on Privatization of Airports with regard to the economic impact this would have on the industry.
- Discussions about restrictions (timelines, airspace and procedures onboard aircraft) in the context of special events with regards to public safety
- Discussions on the Statutory Review of the Canada Transportation Act with respect to administerial advice on policies
- Discussions with Public Safety Canada regarding, and support for, actions to prevent Human Trafficking.
- Discussions with Transport Canada and Employment & Social Development Canada on removing barriers to entry for people who want to become pilots.
- Discussions with regard to the on-going management of the Air Carrier Security Measures (Document is classified).
- Excise Tax Act with regard to Reduction of Air Travellers Security Charge. Excise Tax Act with regards to the reduction of Aviation Fuel Taxes.
- Government consultation (Transport Canada) with stakeholders on the privatization of CATSA and its impact on the industry and the cost to passengers.
- Impact of Brexit on UK-Canada Trade.
- International Student Program in respect of streamlining the process to obtain student study permits for commercial pilot training in Canada (Imagine Education au/in Canada Brand program) with Global Affairs Canada and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
- Obtain support from relevant government departments in dealing with the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme to ensure fairness to Canadian companies.
- Participation in the development of mitigation measures for the use of Ethylene Glycol and Halon and Greenhouse Gases with Environment and Climate Change Canada, and Transport Canada
- Status of European Union (EU) Bilateral - The Canadian Government and the European Union entered into Bilaterals. The issues are its impact on costs and trade to our industry.
Policies or Program, Regulation
- Enhancement and growth of the Canadian Council for Aviation and Aerospace to cover
all aviation human resource issues.
- Amendments to Part 12 of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act, or other sections of the Act that may arise involving regulatory changes as a result of new ICAO regulations. The Aviation representative to the TDG General Policy Advisory Council and aviation industry delegate on the TDG Canadian delegation to the International Civil Aviation Organization.
- Amendments to Part 6 of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) Act regarding TDG training.
- Amendments to the Air Transportation Regulations (SOR/88-58) as amended January 2013.
- Amendments to the Canada Labour Code (ESDC) with regard to issues affecting employees working within the aviation industry.
- As a member of the Canadian Aviation Regulations Advisory Council, participate in the development and amendments to the Canadian Aviation Regulations.
- Encouraging the implementation of Safety Management Systems throughout Canadian commercial aviation.
- Federal jurisdiction at aerodromes as it pertains to noise responsibilities. We do not want the province/municipality to enforce noise around airports. We oppose attempts by provinces/municipalities from attempting to usurp the federal powers. The Federal Government regulation in this case refers to the Aeronautics Act.
- Working with Transport Canada Aviation Security on Enhanced Security measures harmonizing with the Transportation Security Administration and Department of Homeland Security requirements. Also working with International partners in promoting safe travel corridors in the restart of the travel industry during COVID-19 pandemic.
Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA)
Canadian Heritage (PCH)
Canadian Human Rights Commission (CHRC)
Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA)
Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada (CIRNAC)
Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
Finance Canada (FIN)
Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
Health Canada (HC)
House of Commons
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
National Defence (DND)
Privy Council Office (PCO)
Public Safety Canada (PS)
Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)
Senate of Canada
Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB)
Transport Canada (TC)
Treasury Board Of Canada Secretariat (TBS)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
Air Transport Association of Canada represents the interests of commercial aviation in Canada. This includes the interests of airlines, both scheduled and charter, regional air carriers, air taxi operators, helicopter operators, flight training schools and aviation industry suppliers. Air Transport Association of Canada's primary focus is on air regulations and safety matters. In addition, Air Transport Association of Canada deals with matters of taxation, labour legislation, security and other issues which impact on our members' operations.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
President and Chief Executive Officer
Organization's membership or classes of membership
Air Transport Association of Canada has one (1) class of membership in the Corporation called "Members" consisting of any Canadian person, partnership or corporation engaged in the commercial operation of aircraft holding a TC issued operating certificate, or engaged in aviation training or education. The Corporation may also admit "Industry Partners", persons, partnerships or corporations that are associated with the aviation industry, and "Foreign Operator Industry Partners", persons, partnerships or corporations that are engaged in the commercial operation of aircraft into and out of Canada and have their head office outside of Canada. In addition certain trade associations or other related not-for-profit organizations associated with the aviation industry are called "Affiliates".
End date of the last completed financial year:
List of Government Funding
Funding Received in Last Financial Year
Funding Expected in Current Financial Year
Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
In-house Organization Contact Information
222 Queen Street
OTTAWA, ON K1P 5V9
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- Les Aalders,
Executive Vice President |
No public offices held
- Wayne Gouveia,
Senior Vice President |
No public offices held
- John McKenna,
President & Chief Executive Officer |
Public offices held