Registration - In-house Organization
The Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada / L’Association des facultés de médecine du Canada / Geneviève Moineau, President and Chief Executive Officer
Total Number of Communication Reports: 153
Monthly communication reports in the last 6 months: 0
Version 22 of 22 (2019-10-30 to present)
- Aboriginal Affairs
- Employment and Training
- Financial Institutions
- International Development
- Research and Development
- Science and Technology
Subject Matter Details
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit
- AFMC seeks increased funding to enhance educational programming relating to professionalism, aboriginal health needs, public health, end-of-life/palliative care and Francophone minorities projects.
Policies or Program
- AFMC is advocating for enhancements and optimization of Canada's health and biomedical research enterprise, focussing specifically on issues relating to clinical trials.
- AFMC is advocating for programs aimed at helping manage physician workforce issues through specific initiatives in medical education, allocation of residency positions and policies regarding international medical graduates.
- AFMC is advocating for the creation of a new federal program aimed at encouraging youth from communities that are under-represented in health-related professions to pursue university degrees in the health and related sciences.
- The AFMC calls on the federal government to support the sciences and innovation in health research by making how best to train and sustain Canada's future physician-scientist a key part of the discussions surrounding the new Health Accord
- The Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada, with its partners, is advocating for changes to Canadian policies (tax and intellectual property) to encourage private sector investment in health and biomedical research.
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Grass-roots communication
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada (CIRNAC)
- Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
- Finance Canada (FIN)
- Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
- Health Canada (HC)
- House of Commons
- Indigenous Services Canada (ISC)
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
- Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
- Privy Council Office (PCO)
- Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC)
- Senate of Canada
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- Transport Canada (TC)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
The Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada is the national voice for the 17 Canadian medical faculties. In its advocacy role, AFMC actively engages government and key stakeholders on public policy debates related to health, medical education and research funding, issues on health human resources and medical education. AFMC also manages a rigorous system of accreditation at both the undergraduate and continuing medical education levels for all 17 Canadian faculties of medicine. The Canadian Post-M.D. Education Registry (CAPER) is the active data-gathering and research arm of the organization with an interest in the post-M.D. clinical education of physicians in Canada. Finally, AFMC's Social Accountability Initiative (SAI) acknowledges and promotes the role of faculties of medicine in Canada in ensuring access to and quality of the system in order to meet the health needs of the population through interprofessional models of education and care delivery, by addressing issues of professionalism and engaging with other key stakeholders in the areas of public health, Aboriginal health and end-of-life palliative care issues and with young leaders to look at what the health care system will be like in the future. AFMC also recently received funding from Health Canada to conduct Phase II of a project called the Future of Medical Education in Canada which will look at postgraduate medical education.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Geneviève Moineau, President and Chief Executive Officer
Organization's membership or classes of membershipOur membership includes the Deans and faculty members at the 17 faculties of medicine of Canada as well as health care organizations that deal with accreditation, physician training and international students.
End date of the last completed financial year: 2019-06-30
|Government Institution||Funding Received in Last Financial Year||Funding Expected in Current Financial Year|
|Health Canada (HC)||$1,287,154.25||Yes|
|Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care for Physician Resource Planning Advisory Committee (PRPAC) and for Canadian Post MD Education Registry (CAPER)||$46,000.00||Yes|
In-house Organization Contact Information
2733 Lancaster rd.
Ottawa, ON K1B 0A9
Fax number: 613-730-1196
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- Geneviève Moineau, President and Chief Executive Officer | No public offices held