Registration - In-house Organization
FEDERATION OF CANADIAN MUNICIPALITIES / FÉDÉRATION CANADIENNE DES MUNICIPALITÉS / Brock Carlton, Chief Executive Officer
Version 56 of 56 (2019-09-05 to present)
- Aboriginal Affairs
- Arts and Culture
- Economic Development
- Financial Institutions
- Government Procurement
- Internal Trade
- International Development
- International Relations
- International Trade
- Justice and Law Enforcement
- Regional Development
- Science and Technology
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit
- Federal infrastructure program funding, including (but not limited to) infrastructure Canada: Seeking government funding through Infrastructure Canada, the Building Canada Fund, gas tax transfer, Goods and Services Tax municipal rebate and the economic developments agencies and programs for municipal infrastructure development.
Policies or Program
- Buy America provision of the US government's federal stimulus package: Canadian policy with regard to the Buy America provision of the US government's federal stimulus package.
- Citizenship and immigration: Immigration and refugee policies and programs with regard to federal & local programs supporting language training, skills development, foreign credential recognition, settlement services, access to affordable housing, access to affordable transit, and career and employment services.
- Community safety and crime prevention: Community-based crime prevention policies and programs with regard to crime prevention through social development, community corrections, national/contract policing, and national and municipal drug strategies. Federal and municipal roles and responsibilities regarding policing duties and funding.
- Emergency preparedness and security measures: Emergency preparedness policies and programs with regard to the cost and implementation of emergency equipment and first responder support.
- Environmental issues and sustainable development: Environmental and sustainable development policies and programs with regard to local climate change mitigation and adaptation, the development and implementation of water management, watershed planning, wastewater, stormwater policy and accomplying federal funding, brownfield redevelopment, greenhouse gas (ghg) reductions, urban forest management and stewardship, capacity building for sustainable community planning and federal government involvement in sustainable community development.
- Federal Programs Supporting Social Development: Federal policies and programs with regard to improving accesses to affordable housing, reducing homelessness, increasing social infrastructure required for immigration and refugee settlement and integration support.
- Guidelines for urban transit, intra and extra urban transit systems: Infrastructure and Transportation policy with regard to the development of guidelines, policy and dedicated funding for urban, intra and extra urban transit systems, intra-modular transportation integration, municipal/railway proximity issues, shipping routes and sea ports, boarder crossings, highways, and provincial or federal owned roadways.
- International municipal development: Canadian foreign policy with regard to Global Affairs Canada (GAC) funded programs overseas in various countries in Africa, Latin America, Asia, Eastern Europe and Caribean and Middle East, providing technical assistance to local governments and national associations of local government.
- Municipal Finance and Intergovernmental Arrangements Revenue sharing with the federal and provincial governments: Federal policies and programs with regard to the payments in lieu of taxes (PILTs) system, intergovernmental partnerships, recognition of municipal governments contributions to economic growth, the fiscal imbalance between each order of governments revenues options and their responsibilities to provide services and programs to Canadians.
- Municipal-aboriginal relations issues: Federal policies and programs with regard to municipal-aboriginal relations, resources to meet the needs of the aboriginal population living in municipalities, municipal consultation and communication regarding land management and additions to reserve.
- Rail, Airports and Ports: Federal policies and programs with regard to access to national and international markets for trade, intra-city movement of people and goods and sustainability of small and rural communities
- Rural Development and execution of federal policies and programs designed to ensure that rural, remote and northern municipalities and communities are able to a) access federal programs, b) strengthen local economic development c) provide residents with access to services d) work with local partners to develop locally appropriate solutions.
- Rural, remote and northern municipal issues: Federal policies and programs with regard to delivering infrastructure funding in rural, remote and northern communities, trade irritants effecting rural, remote and northern communities, the development and implementation of the northern strategy in the three territories and the development of a rural champion at the federal cabinet level.
- Telecommunications and Technology: Telecommunications policies with regard to universal broadband access throughout Canadian communities, antenna tower and municipal rights-of-ways.
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Grass-roots communication
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
- Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
- Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
- Canadian Heritage (PCH)
- Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)
- Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA)
- Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
- Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
- Farm Products Council of Canada (FPCC)
- Finance Canada (FIN)
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO)
- Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
- Health Canada (HC)
- House of Commons
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
- Infrastructure Canada (INFC)
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
- Intergovernmental Affairs Secretariat (IGA)
- Justice Canada (JC)
- National Defence (DND)
- National Energy Board (NEB)
- National Research Council (NRC)
- Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- PPP Canada
- Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
- Privy Council Office (PCO)
- Public Safety Canada (PS)
- Public Service Commission of Canada (PSC)
- Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC)
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)
- Rural Economic Development (Minister’s Office)
- Senate of Canada
- Service Canada (ServCan)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- Statistics Canada (StatCan)
- Transport Canada (TC)
- Treasury Board Of Canada Secretariat (TBS)
- Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC)
- Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD)
- Women and Gender Equality (WAGE)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) has been recognized since 1901 as the national voice of municipal governments. It is dedicated to improving the quality of life from coast to coast. FCM represents the interests of all municipalities on policy and program matters within federal jurisdiction. Municipal governments constituting FCM's membership represent more than 25 million canadians. FCM members include Canada's largest cities, small urban and rural communities and the 18 major provincial and territorial municipal associations. Municipal leaders from all parts of Canada assemble annually to establish FCM policy on key issues. The National Board of Directors meets quarterly to review policy and program matters.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Brock Carlton, Chief Executive Officer
Organization's membership or classes of membershipBase fee based on population escalating to $20 to $100 (depending on the population) plus 11.6 cents per capita. Municipal members: full voting rights and FCM publications for all members of council and all senior administrators. FCM publications to senior administrators. Affiliate members: comprise 18 provincial / territorial / municipal associations with a $1,255 annual fee. Corporate partners: private enterprises, $1,000 annually. Non-profit organizations: $500 annually.
End date of the last completed financial year: 2019-03-31
|Government Institution||Funding Received in Last Financial Year||Funding Expected in Current Financial Year|
|Global Affairs Canada (GAC)||$21,786,900.00||Yes|
|Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada||$908,700.00||Yes|
|Infrastructure Canada (INFC)||$26,036,500.00||Yes|
|Status of Women Canada (SWC)||$146,400.00||Yes|
In-house Organization Contact Information
24 Clarence Street
Ottawa, ON K1N 5P3
Fax number: 613-241-7440
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- Dallas Alderson, Manager, Policy and Research | No public offices held
- Jen Arntfield, Policy and Research Manager | No public offices held
- Chris Boivin, Manager | No public offices held
- Brock Carlton, Chief Executive Officer | No public offices held
- Devin Causley, Manager, Climate Change Program | No public offices held
- Nicole Christy, Government Relations Advisor | No public offices held
- Patrick Costigan, Outreach and Engagement Advisor, Policy and Government Relations | No public offices held
- Matt Gemmel, Policy Advisor | No public offices held
- Sebastien Hamel, Director, FCM International | No public offices held
- Leanne Holt, Senior Manager, Outreach and Engagement, Policy & Government Relations | No public offices held
- Tim Kehoe, Deputy Chief Executive Officer | No public offices held
- Jean Lawson, Policy Officer | No public offices held
- Marc LeBlanc, Policy Advisor | No public offices held
- Ryan Osterberg, Government Relations Advisor | No public offices held
- Daniel Rubinstein, Senior Manager, Policy & Research | No public offices held
- Carole Saab, Senior Director, Policy & Government Relations | No public offices held
- Eric Scharf, Big City Mayors' Caucus Advisor | No public offices held
- Megan Stanley, Government Relations Advisor, Policy & Government Relations | No public offices held
- Tim Stiles, Policy Advisor | No public offices held
- Michael Wodzicki, Program Development, FCM International | No public offices held