- Aboriginal Affairs
- Economic Development
- Employment and Training
- Intellectual Property
- International Trade
- Research and Development
- Science and Technology
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Federal-Provincial Fiscal Arrangements Act, with respect to the creation of a dedicated transfer for post-secondary education.
- The Copyright Act, with respect to Educational exemptions listed under fair dealing provisions.
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution, Regulation
- The Book Importation Regulations under the Copyright Act, with respect to parallel importation.
Policies or Program
- Canada Student Grants Program with respect to increasing per-student, need-based funding provided by the program
- Canada Student Loans Program with respect to redefining need under the program, amending the asset calculation model to exempt all in-study income, the ownership of one vehicle, individually held RRSPs by an additional $790 for each year following a person's eighteenth birthday, and other financial assets totalling $10 000.
- Developing a Pan-Canadian Strategy for Mental Health, with respect to implementing recent recommendations of the Mental Health Commission of Canada aimed at post-secondary students and decreasing stigmas associated with mental health.
- Developing a nationwide strategy for the adoption of Open Educational Resources.
- Developing an Open Access Framework for taxpayer funded research in Canada with respect to research conducted with the assistance of funding from SSHRC, NSERC, and CIHR at Canada's universities and colleges.
- Indirect Costs Program, with respect to increasing the funding provided by the Indirect Costs Program to qualified universities, colleges, and affiliated institutions.
- Post-Secondary Student Support Program Funding, with respect to lifting the 2% cap on this funding.
- Protecting student intellectual property rights at Canada's universities and colleges, with respect to creating a set of criteria for institutions to abide by in order to be eligible for research funding granted by the CIHR, SSHRC, and NSERC.
- Repayment Assistance Program, with regard to changing eligibility requirements, removing entry barriers for students in loan default, exempting EI recipients, and creating program streams for underrepresented groups.
- SSHRC, CIHR, and NSERC, with respect to improving governance and broadening considered perspectives via the addition of a student seat on the governing boards of the federal granting agencies.
- The Canada Student Loans Program, with respect to eliminating the expected parental contribution in the assessment of resources for borrowers.
- The Canada Student Loans Program, with respect to ensuring the weekly loan limit rises with the needs of students by increasing the weekly loan limit amount from $210 to $245.
- The Off-Campus Work Permit Program, with respect to extending the benefits of off-campus work permits to international students studying part-time at recognized universities and colleges in Canada.
Policies or Program, Regulation
- International student visas, with regard to broadening the category of country that receives multiple-entry visas.
- International Student visas, with respect to allowing for visa holders to participate in co-op opportunities without having to apply for an additional permit.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
Canadian Heritage (PCH)
Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada (CIRNAC)
Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
Finance Canada (FIN)
Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
Health Canada (HC)
House of Commons
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
Indigenous Services Canada (ISC)
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
Privy Council Office (PCO)
Senate of Canada
Service Canada (ServCan)
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
Transport Canada (TC)
Treasury Board Of Canada Secretariat (TBS)
Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
The Canadian Alliance of Student Associations (CASA) is an alliance of student associations and student unions from across Canada. Through this network of student governments, CASA represents and defends the interests of post-secondary students to federal and inter-provincial levels of government.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Organization's membership or classes of membership
Various student unions from across the country.
End date of the last completed financial year:
List of Government Funding
Funding Received in Last Financial Year
Funding Expected in Current Financial Year
In-house Organization Contact Information
P.O. Box 3408
Ottawa, ON K1P 6H8
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- Jared Maltais,
Government and Stakeholder Relations Officer |
No public offices held
- Kalin McCluskey,
Executive Director |
Designated public offices held