Registration - In-house Organization
Colleges and Institutes Canada / Collèges et instituts Canada / Denise Amyot, President and Chief Executive Officer
Version 43 of 43 (2019-05-31 to present)
- Aboriginal Affairs
- Employment and Training
- Intellectual Property
- International Development
- International Relations
- Official Languages
- Regional Development
- Research and Development
- Science and Technology
- Small Business
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit
- Direct 5% of federal investment in research to applied research, product development and commercialization carried out by colleges and institutes and their private sector partners
- Discussions underway for a new international partnership program - Education for Employment which will support educational reform of technical education in Mozambique, Senegal and Tanzania.
- Enhanced opportunities for Aboriginal learners, immigrants and disadvantaged groups to access postsecondary education and training and labour market.
- Expansion of the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council College and Community Innovation Program
- Federal Investment for a national college and institute mobility program for faculty and student exchanges between Francophone Institutions and Anglophone Institutions.
- Increase domesting and international student mobility to the mid-point of other OECD countries.
- Increased federal investments with regard to college and institute costs of supporting applied research through the Indicrect Costs Program.
- Review of the SR&ED Tax Credit Program to encourage greater participation of small and medium-sized businesses and providing mechanisms for colleges and institutes to assist them in the process.
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Extension of the 100% GST exemption that has been afforded to municipalities to postsecondary institutions as recommended by the Standing Committee on Finance
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution, Policies or Program
- Changes to amend the Copyright Act with respect to support colleges and institutes in their mandate to provide advanced skills and to enable them to better respond to the skills shortage.
Policies or Program
- Creation of a college and Institute Internship Program to expose more students to private sector research challenges.
- Dedicated funding of college and institute facilities, technology and equipment
- Discussions underway with Statistics Canada for current college and institute data.
- Discussions underway with the Global Affairs Canada regarding a proposal for a new partnership between colleges and institutes and the Pacific Alliance with respect to education and training.
- Discussions underway with the federal government for recognition of college and institute applied degrees as equal to university degrees as stipulated in a statement by the Council of Ministers.
- Enhancement of the federal infrastructure policy with respect to college and institute infrastructure and acquisition of leading edge technology.
- Examination of all federal training programs with the goal of eliminating fragmentation, short term funding and inequities for learners.
- Harmonization and simplification of immigration policies with respect to facilitating study and work permit processes.
- Introduction of new tax measures to encourage employer/employee based training, address literacy training and essential skills as well as an increase in internships and apprenticeship opportunities.
- Modification of the Employment Insurance Program to enable workers currently in the workforce to access funding for skills upgrading.
- Research integrity related issues with respect to the review of the federal granting agencies' policiy framework for research integrity and the Tri-Council Memorandum of Understanding on roles and Responsibilities in the Management of Federal Grants and Awards.
- Review of the Canada Student Loan Program with respect to increased grants, modernization and simplification measures and increased flexibility for students in debt repayment.
- Targeted federal transfer payments for postsecondary education.
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Grass-roots communication
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
- Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
- Bank of Canada
- Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions
- Canada Industrial Relations Board (CIRB)
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
- Canada Science and Technology Museums Corporation (CSTMC)
- Canadian Heritage (PCH)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency (CanNor)
- Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)
- Canadian Space Agency (CSA)
- Copyright Board of Canada (CB)
- Correctional Service of Canada (CSC)
- Elections Canada
- Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
- Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
- Finance Canada (FIN)
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO)
- Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
- Health Canada (HC)
- House of Commons
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
- Indigenous Services Canada (ISC)
- Infrastructure Canada (INFC)
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
- International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
- National Capital Commission (NCC)
- National Defence (DND)
- National Film Board (NFB)
- National Research Council (NRC)
- Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Office of the Commissioner of Official Languages (OCOL)
- Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
- Privy Council Office (PCO)
- Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC)
- Public Safety Canada (PS)
- Public Service Commission of Canada (PSC)
- Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC)
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)
- Senate of Canada
- Service Canada (ServCan)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- Statistics Canada (StatCan)
- Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB)
- Transport Canada (TC)
- Treasury Board Of Canada Secretariat (TBS)
- Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC)
- Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) is the national and international voice of Canada's post-secondary colleges, institutes of technology, university-colleges,cégeps and polytechnics. A membership-based organization, CICan acts as a forum and advocate for 131 institutions, representing their interests to government and industry.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Denise Amyot, President and Chief Executive Officer
Organization's membership or classes of membershipMembership is open to Canadian publicly-funded community colleges, institutes of technology, university-colleges, cégeps and polytechnics and universities that operate with a college mandate and other similar post-secondary institutions. An associate membership category is open to organizations with an interest in technical and vocational education and the development capacity of colleges.
End date of the last completed financial year: 2018-03-31
|Government Institution||Funding Received in Last Financial Year||Funding Expected in Current Financial Year|
|Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)||$652,633.00||Yes|
|Global Affairs Canada (GAC)||$16,356,760.00||Yes|
|Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)||$3,789,367.00||Yes|
|Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)||$1,538,761.00||Yes|
|Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC)||$18,264.00||Yes|
In-house Organization Contact Information
1 Rideau Street
Ottawa, ON K1N 8S7
Fax number: 613-746-6721
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- Denise Amyot, President and Chief Executive Officer | Designated public offices held
- Amélie Cantin, Government Relations Officer, Government Relations and Policy Research | No public offices held
- Andrew Champagne, Specialist - Marketing and Recruitment | No public offices held
- Marie-Josée Fortin, Director, America's & Francophone & Lusophone Africa | No public offices held
- Caroline Gagnon, Director, Member Relations | No public offices held
- David Kelly, Director, Strategic Initiatives & Business Development | No public offices held
- Ramon Lashley, Vice-President, Corporate Services | No public offices held
- Sylvie Moreau, Manager, Online Global Team, Program Quality and Francophone Services Delivery (CIIP) | No public offices held
- Clare Morris, Senior Policy Advisor | Public offices held
- Katrina Murray, Regional Manager, Planning for Canada (CIIP) based in New Delhi, India | Public offices held
- Alain Roy, Vice-President, International Partnerships | No public offices held
- Mark Shumelda, Senior Policy Advisor, Government Relations & Policy Research | No public offices held
- Holly Skelton, Director, Canadian Immigrant Integration Program (CIIP) | No public offices held
- Patrick Snider, Senior Policy Advisor, Government Relations & Policy Research | Designated public offices held
- Susan Sproule, Director, Caribbean & Anglohone Africa | No public offices held
- Anna Toneguzzo, Director, Government Relations and Policy Research | No public offices held
- Christine Trauttmansdorff, Vice-President, Government Relations and Canadian Partnerships | Public offices held