Registration - In-house Organization
HealthCareCAN / SoinsSantéCAN / Paul-Émile Cloutier, President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Version 30 of 30 (2019-11-27 to present)
- Aboriginal Affairs
- Constitutional Issues
- Consumer Issues
- Employment and Training
- Internal Trade
- International Relations
- International Trade
- Research and Development
- Science and Technology
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit
- Research and Development, Innovation and Commercializations - That Canadian Institutes of Health Research A-base funding be increased to 1% of health care budget.
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit, Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution, Policies or Program
- Mental Health Commission of Canada: renew mandate for 10 years and double budget
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit, Policies or Program
- Increase support for a pan-canadian approach for key research priorities and scale, spread and evaluate stewardship of antimicrobial resistance.
- Infrastructure money to include academic/research hospitals and academic regional health authorities. Previous stimulus packages excluded health care facilities.
- Provide resources behind critical infrastructure and cyber security in the health sector.
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Department of Finance Canada and Federal Budgets: The federal role in Canada's health system: the use of the federal spending power and national objectives - renewed and strengthened Equalization and Territorial formula, strengthened commitment to equal per capita cash support for the Canada Health Transfer and Canada Social Transfer.
- Excise Tax Act: The GST rebate for health services, Section 259 (1) (2) (3) (4.1), Section 123 (1).
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution, Regulation
- Food and Drugs Act: Legislation and Regulations related to the re-use of single-use medical devices.
Policies or Program
- Canada Health Infoway: Electronic Health Record
- Canadian Patient Safety Institute: Patient safety and quality improvement
- Ensure that appropriate measures and funding are put in place to prevent opioid addiction and overdoses and access appropriate harm reduction programs and treatment.
- Goods and Services Tax application to health research institutions under the MUSH formula be extended at the same rate of 83% to research institutes which form part of the research hospitals. CRA has a draft interpretation bulletin with respect to this.
- Health Canada - Advisory Committee on Health Delivery and Human Resources (ACHDHR): Health system employability - self sufficiency, internationally educated health professionals, and entry-to-practice credentials.
- Health Canada - First Nations and Inuit Health, Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada: Aboriginal health. HealthCareCAN advocates on training and job opportunities for Aboriginal Canadians, programs to reduce chronic disease and support health promotion, funding for health services, sufficient health human resources, and improving living conditions such as clean water.
- Increase the Goods and Services Tax rebate under the MUSH formula (Municipalities, Universities, Schools and Hospitals) for public health and health authorities from 83% to 100% of eligible costs.
- International Relations: inform and monitor the diplomatic discussions between the federal government and Saudi Arabia which has direct consequences on medical residents working in hospitals and health organizations in Canada
- Provide eligibility for research hospitals to compete for funds directed to reducing climate change and carbon footprint.
- Science and Technology strategy - as part of a group of six stakeholder groups representing not-for-profit, public and private sectors, present a National Health Innovation Action plan for the health/life sciences sector.
- The Order Amending the Order Respecting the Interim Federal Health Program (June 28, 2012) with respect to changes in health care for refugees and refugee claimants.
Policies or Program, Regulation
- Secure an innovation supercluster in the health and life sciences so that this sector can be supported as one of Canada's world-leading innovation clusters.
- Vanessa's Law C-17 Working with Government with respect to implementation framework in advance of regulations being finalized
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Grass-roots communication
- Canada Foundation for Innovation
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)
- Canadian Heritage (PCH)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
- Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
- Finance Canada (FIN)
- Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
- Health Canada (HC)
- House of Commons
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
- Indigenous Services Canada (ISC)
- Infrastructure Canada (INFC)
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
- Justice Canada (JC)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Office of the Auditor General of Canada (OAG)
- Patented Medicine Prices Review Board (PMPRB)
- Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
- Privy Council Office (PCO)
- Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC)
- Public Safety Canada (PS)
- Senate of Canada
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- Statistics Canada (StatCan)
- Transport Canada (TC)
- Treasury Board Of Canada Secretariat (TBS)
- Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
HealthCareCAN is the national voice of healthcare organizations and hospitals across Canada. We foster informed and continuous, results-oriented discovery and innovation across the continuum of healthcare. We act with others to enhance the health of all Canadians; to build the capability for high quality care; and to help ensure value for money in publicly financed, healthcare programs.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Paul-Émile Cloutier, President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Organization's membership or classes of membershipAcademic health science centres, academic regional health authorities and their research institutes, regional health authorities, provincial/territorial health delivery organizations, hospitals
Government fundingNo government funding was received during the last completed financial year.
In-house Organization Contact Information
17 YORK STREET
OTTAWA, ON K1N 5S7
Fax number: 613-241-5055
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- Paul-Émile Cloutier, President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) | Public offices held
- Colleen Galasso, Research/Policy Analyst | No public offices held
- Jonathan Mitchell, Vice-President, Research and Policy | No public offices held
- Claire Samuelson, Research and Policy Analyst | No public offices held
- Charles Thompson, Policy and Government Relations Advisor | No public offices held
- Steve Wharry, Director of Communications and Member Services | No public offices held