Registration - In-house Organization
Canadian Energy Pipeline Association / association canadienne de pipelines d'energie / Chris Bloomer, President & CEO
Version 20 of 32 (2015-10-15 to 2015-12-01)
- Aboriginal Affairs
- Constitutional Issues
- Consumer Issues
- Economic Development
- Employment and Training
- Intellectual Property
- Internal Trade
- International Development
- International Relations
- International Trade
- Justice and Law Enforcement
- Regional Development
- Research and Development
- Science and Technology
- Small Business
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Comments provided on proposed mandatory reporting standards in the extractive sector as developed under the Extractive Sector Transparency Measures Act.
- Emergency Preparedness Act - discussion in respect to ensuring delivery of energy resources in the event of a national emergency
- Federal Pre-Budget Consultations - recommendations for consideration provided to House of Commons Finance Committee.
- Fisheries Act - discussion in respect to ensuring that large linear infrastructure projects, of national importance and significance are completed in a timely fashion while respecting fish habitat
- Input provided to draft ammendments to the Northwest Territories Waters Act.
- Input provided to draft ammendments to the Territorial Lands Act.
- Mackenzie Valley Resource Managment Act (MVRMA) - Input provided regarding proposed amendments to the Act.
- Migratory Birds Convention Act - discussions to ensure best managment practices related to pipeline projects relative to the act
- National Energy Board Act - discussion in respect landowner consultation, public participation and intervenor funding, collection of funds for Terminal Negative Salvage, Crown consultation and the federal government’s duty to consult, export licensing and pipeline regulatory requirements and reform
- Navigable Waters Protection Act (NWPA) - discussions regarding processes related to issuing permits under the Act
- Pipeline Safety Act - discussions surrounding implementation of the Act
- Species at Risk Act (SARA) - Discussion regarding SARA in respect to ensuring that large linear infrastructure projects, of national importance and significance, are completed in a timely fashion while respecting the natural habitat of Canadian species at risk.
- Transportation Act - provide input toward the review of the Act from the perspective of critical energy transportation infrastructure.
- Yukon Environmental and Socio-Economic Assessment Act (YESSA) - input provided regarding proposed legislative changes to the Act.
Policies or Program
- Aboriginal Consultation and Accommodation - Discussion surrounding Aboriginal Consultation and Accommodation: Interim Guidelines for Federal Officials to Fulfill the Legal Duty to Consult, a report issued by the Department of Indian and Northern Affairs Canada pertaining to the Crown’s duty to consult and corresponding uncertainty for industry and Canada’s aboriginal population.
- Aboriginal Treaty Rights – discussion surrounding aboriginal and metis policy regarding education and training, crown consultation, capacity building and accommodation, including consultation on the Federal Comprehensive Land Clams Policy.
- Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency - promotion of an effective environmental assessment regime to enhance and streamline the assessment of pipeline projects. The objective is to obtain the timely review and issuance of federal regulatory apprioval permits and authorizations in a coordinated manner across jurisdictions
- Climate Change - Climate change policy with respect to greenhouse gas emission (GHG) targets and interrelationship of sector specific GHG targets
- Comments on assumptions made in the Energy Futures report under the National Energy Board (NEB).
- Consultation on draft policy for the Importation of Continuous Transmission Commodities with the Canada Border Services Agency
- Cost Recovery - provide input towards the implementation of cost recovery levies
- Discussions around the National Strategy for Critical Infrastructure to ensure the Actiona Plan for Critical Infrastructure is accurate and up to date.
- Internal Trade Harmonization – discussion surrounding internal trade harmonization in respect of labour supplies and energy.
- Major Project Management Office (MPMO) - discussion in respect to MPMO and MPMO West implementation and timely decision-making for linear infrastructure projects of national significance, ensuring habitat protection (particularly, but not exclusive to, fish and waterways), aboriginal consultation, stakeholder consultation and participant funding and Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency triggers are managed in a timely and responsible fashion.
- Participation in consultation related to the Federal Comprehensive Land Claims Policy.
- Pipeline Development (Capital Requirements) - Discussion surrounding fiscal competitiveness as it relates to pipeline development in Canada.
- Pipeline Safety and Integrity - promotion of a more robust policy of strengthening and enforcement with respect to damage prevention regulations (DPRs).
- Regulatory Efficiency and Effectiveness – promotion of an effective environmental assessment regime to enhance and streamline the assessment of pipeline projects. The objective is to obtain the timely review and issuance of federal regulatory approval permits and authorizations in a coordinated manner across jurisdictions.
- Sustainable Development – advocate for a new and more coordinated sustainable development strategy as it relates to pipeline projects.
- Tax Policy - Discussion regarding Taxation Policy, as it pertains to ensuring pipelines are responsibly reclaimed when they are no longer in use through the development of financial instruments such as a Qualified Environmental Trust (QET)
- Comments and discussions surrounding proposed Administrative Monetary Penalties (AMP) Regulations under the National Energy Board (NEB).
- Comments on proposed Amendments to Regulations for Pipeline Damage Prevention.
- Comments provided on the reporting requirements for unauthorized third party activity revisions to the Transportation Safety Board Regulations.
- Comments provided to the NEB draft incident reporting guidelines.
- Discussion surrounding the draft regulations ammending the Regulations Designating Physical Activities and the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency's Designated Projects List.
- Discussions in respect to various regulations and relevant applications for authorization under the Fisheries Act including those related to New Fisheries Protection Provisions.
- Environmental Emergency Regulations - comment on proposed ammendments
- Input provided to Base Level Industrial Emission Requirments (BLIERS) regulations towards single regulation under Multi-Sector Air Polution Regulations (MSAPR).
- Input provided to Draft Financial Viability and Financial Responsibility Guidelines under the Canada Oil and Gas Operations Act (COGOA).
- Input provided to Draft Guidance for Proponents: Federal Aboriginal Crown Consultation Process for Major Resource Projects under the Major Projects Managment Office (MPMO).
- Input towards ammendments to the NEB Act Party VI (Oil and Gas Regulations) relating to Export and Import Reporting Regulations and Toll Information Regulations.
- Navigation Protection Act - comments provided regarding proposed changes to Minor Works Orders.
- Pipeline Tariff Regulation - discussion in respect to assessing and allocating pipeline tolls
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations - comments on proposed ammendments
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Grass-roots communication
- Websites, Meetings, Presentations, Telephone Calls, Informal Communication
- Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada
- Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
- Bank of Canada
- Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
- Canada Foundation for Innovation
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
- Canada Science and Technology Museums Corporation (CSTMC)
- Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency (CEAA)
- Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT)
- Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency (CanNor)
- Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC)
- Canadian Space Agency (CSA)
- Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA)
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada
- Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
- Environment Canada
- Export Development Canada (EDC)
- Finance Canada (FIN)
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO)
- Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
- Hazardous Materials Information Review Commission (HMIRC)
- Health Canada (HC)
- House of Commons
- Industry Canada
- Infrastructure Canada (INFC)
- Justice Canada (JC)
- National Defence (DND)
- National Energy Board (NEB)
- National Research Council (NRC)
- Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Office of the Auditor General of Canada (OAG)
- Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
- Privy Council Office (PCO)
- Public Safety Canada (PS)
- Public Works and Government Services Canada
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)
- Senate of Canada
- Standards Council of Canada (SCC)
- Statistics Canada (StatCan)
- Status of Women Canada (SWC)
- Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB)
- Transport Canada (TC)
- Treasury Board Of Canada Secretariat (TBS)
- Vancouver Fraser Port Authority (Port Metro Vancouver)
- Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD)
Government institutions added through a monthly communication report
- Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
The Canadian Energy Pipeline Association (CEPA) represents the views of its member companies by: working with governments and other stakeholders in the formulation of policy and regulation, promoting best practice sharing, and conducting research to support appropriate policy formulation, all with the intent of ensuring that Canadians benefit from an energy transportation infrastructure system that is operated safely and is financially sound and environmentally sustainable.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Brenda Kenny, President & CEO
Organization's membership or classes of membershipFull Members are those whose primary business is the transportation by pipeline of hydrocarbon substances. Technical Members are those whose business interests include the transportation by pipeline of hydrocarbon substances. Associate Members are those whose business interests cause them to have a bona fide interest in the energy pipeline business but that do not fall within the categories of Full or Technical Members.
Government fundingNo government funding was received during the last completed financial year.
In-house Organization Contact Information
#202, 505 - 3rd Street SW
Calgary, AB T2P 3E6
Fax number: 403-221-8760
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- Jim Donihee, Chief Operating Officer | Public offices held
- Alexandra Frison, Director, Communications | No public offices held
- Kai Horsfield, Research Coordinator | No public offices held
- Jordan Inkster, Integrity First Coordinator | No public offices held
- Brenda Kenny, President & CEO | Public offices held
- Coral Lukaniuk, Director, Integrity First | No public offices held
- Kim McCaig, Executive Director, CEPA Foundation | No public offices held
- Amy Miller, Operations Coordinator | No public offices held
- Elaine Pacheco, Director, Safety | No public offices held
- Sonya Savage, Senior Director, Policy and Regulatory Affairs | No public offices held
- Patrick Smyth, Vice President, Safety and Engineering | Public offices held
- Evan Wilson, Regulatory & Financial Coordinator | No public offices held