Registration - In-house Corporation
Nova Scotia Power Incorporated / Karen Hutt, President and Chief Executive Officer
Version 32 of 32 (2019-09-20 to present)
- Aboriginal Affairs
- Economic Development
- International Development
- International Trade
- Justice and Law Enforcement
- Research and Development
- Science and Technology
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit
- Funding application made to Sustainable Development Technology Canada for Nova Scotia Power Inc.'s in-stream tidal unit as part of the Province of Nova Scotia's tidal demonstration project in the Bay of Fundy.
- ecoEnergy Technology Initiative in respect of the development of application requirements. Also prepare application for funding from the ecoEnergy Technology Initiative.
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Canadian Environmental Assessment Act in respect to streamlining of process for energy projects.
- Canadian Environmental Protection Act amendments in respect to greenhouse gas and air pollutants provisions and amendments to meet Clear Air Act objectives.
- Energy Efficiency Act in respect of legislative framework to support and enable energy efficiency and conservation. Advocating for fair creation and implementation of the legislation, as well as advocating for program development in respect to credits, offsets and funding.
- Fisheries Act amendments in respect of utility specific provisions regarding habitat, passage, flow and fish mortality
- Migratory Birds Convention Act in respect to emerging provisions regarding incidental take and permitting.
- Motor Vehicle Fuel Consumption Standards Act in respect to specific tracking, measuring and reporting provisions.
- Species at Risk Act amendments in respect to permitting, incidental take, definition of critical habitat and recovery team requirements
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act amendments in respect to emerging substance specific requirements and consistency with provincial requirements
Policies or Program
- Canada Wide Standards on mercury and other Canada Wide Standards pertaining to electricity generation, transmission and distribution in respect of new emissions reduction targets, sampling and reporting requirements.
- EcoEnergy Efficiency Initiative in respect of support for regional and company programs.
- EcoEnergy Renewable Initiative in respect to effective policy framework and application of program incentives. Advocating for the fair criteria development, program amounts and duration.
- EcoEnergy Trust Fund in respect of the role of Provincial government and possible allocation of funding.
- Interpretation of criteria regarding Habitat Alteration, Disruption or Destruction (HADD) in respect to risk management framework, ecosystem approach, permitting for incidentals take and triggers for officials.
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and the Canadian Electrical Association in respect of streamlining of utility compliance with provisions of the Act.
- Reporting requirements under Environment Canada's National Pollutant Release Inventory Program in respect of lists of substances, triggers, reporting requirements, report format and use of emission factors.
- Chlorobiphenyls Regulations in respect of reporting requirements and mandatory inventory reductions
- Federal Mobile Polychlorinated biphenyl Treatment and Destruction Regulations in respect to specific requirements and allowance for Polychlorinated biphenyl destruction.
- Interprovincial Movement of Hazardous Wastes Regulations in respect to signage, manifests and forms, training and reporting
- Ozone Depleting Substances Regulations in respect to requirements for reporting and system replacements.
- Regulatory Framework for Air Emissions
- Storage of Polychlorinated biphenyl material regulations in respect to the thresholds, provisions for storage, spill response reporting and compliance.
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
- Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency (CEAA)
- Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada (CIRNAC)
- Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
- Finance Canada (FIN)
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO)
- Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
- Health Canada (HC)
- House of Commons
- Infrastructure Canada (INFC)
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
- Justice Canada (JC)
- National Defence (DND)
- National Energy Board (NEB)
- Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)
- Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
- Privy Council Office (PCO)
- Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC)
- Senate of Canada
- Transport Canada (TC)
- Treasury Board Of Canada Secretariat (TBS)
In-house Corporation Details
Description of activities
Nova Scotia Power Incorporated is an electric utility. It provides 95% of the generation, transmission and distribution of the electrical power to 478,000 customers in Nova Scotia.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Karen Hutt, President and Chief Executive Officer
Government fundingNo government funding was received during the last completed financial year.
In-house Corporation Contact Information
1223 Lower Water Street
Halifax, NS B3J 3S8
Parent Company Information
- Emera Incorporated
1223 Lower Water Street
Halifax, NS B3J 3S8
- 1223 Lower Water Street
Subsidiary Beneficiary Information
Nova Scotia Power Incorporated does not have any subsidiaries that could have a direct interest in the outcome of the undertaking
List of Senior Officers whose lobbying activities represent less than 20% of their Duties
- Judith Ferguson, Executive VP Regulatory Legal and Business Planning | No public offices held
- Karen Hutt, President and CEO | No public offices held
- David Landrigan, VP Fuels and Energy | No public offices held
- Lisa Lane, Manager of Corporate Affairs | No public offices held
- Mark Sidebottom, Chief Operating Officer | No public offices held
List of Senior Officers and Employees whose lobbying activities represent 20% or more of their Duties
- Terrance Toner, Director, Environmental Services | No public offices held