Registration - In-house Organization
Research Canada: An Alliance for Health Discovery / Recherche Canada : Une alliance pour les découvertes en santé / DEBORAH GORDON-EL-BIHBETY, PRESIDENT AND Chief Executive Officer
Total Number of Communication Reports: 217
Monthly communication reports in the last 6 months: 0
Version 12 of 18 (2012-05-15 to 2012-07-27)
- Science and Technology
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit
- GOVERNMENT FUNDING: Advocate for increased health research funding
Policies or Program
- Education: Seeking funding through Finance Canada for scholarships in post graduate health sciences
- Health Research-Focus on increasing public investments across the research spectrum of operating grants, people and infrastructure and encourages investments from private and private-not-for profit sectors.
- Industry- advocate for policy to support health research and commercialization
- Infrastructure- advocate for greater investment in health research infrastructure thorough the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI).
- PRE-BUDGET CONSULTATION Advocate for changes and enhancements to tax policy to promote health research initiatives
- Science and Technology-advocate for increased investments in science and technology and for the development of comprehensive and sound science and technology policy and policy implementation specifically related to health.
- Taxation and Finance: Advocate to Department of Finance to harmonize Canadian Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) tax credit with that of the OECD; to allow companies to apply for a one-time advance on accumulated non-capital losses in lieu of claiming other qualified research expenses; to implement a capital gains exemption on all new direct investments made in 2009 and 2010 to those companies with Canadian headquarters investing in science and technology in Canada; to introduce measures to encourage all Canadians to continue to make charitable contributions in a time of economic hardship.
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Grass-roots communication
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- CANADIAN INSTITUTIONS FOR HEALTH RESEARCH
- Finance Canada (FIN)
- Health Canada (HC)
- House of Commons
- Industry Canada
- National Research Council (NRC)
- Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Patented Medicine Prices Review Board (PMPRB)
- Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
- Privy Council Office (PCO)
- Revenue Canada (RC)
- Senate of Canada
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- Treasury Board Of Canada Secretariat (TBS)
- Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
RESEARCH CANADA: AN ALLIANCE FOR HEALTH DISCOVERY, IS COMPRISED OF VOLUNTARY HEALTH AND RESEARCH ORGANIZATIONS/INSTITUTES, WITH A MISSION TO HELP CANADIANS MAINTAIN AND IMPROVE THEIR HEALTH BY ENSURING CANADA IS A WORLD LEADER IN HEALTH RESEARCH. RESEARCH CANADA IS A NOT-FOR-PROFIT, VOLUNTARY ORGANIZATION THAT IS A NATIONAL VOICE FOR HEALTH RESEARCH ADVOCACY IN CANADA. RESEARCH CANADA RECOGNIZES THAT HEALTH RESEARCH IMPROVES THE HEALTH OF CANADIANS, OFFERS A REAL OPPORTUNITY TO CONTAIN HEALTH CARE COSTS, AND CONTRIBUTES TO THE CREATION OF KNOWLEDGE-BASED JOBS AND ECONOMIC GROWTH. THE ORGANIZATION ENGAGES ALL SECTORS, INCLUDING GOVERNMENT, AND WORKS COLLABORATIVELY TO BUILD SUPPORT FOR HEALTH RESEARCH NATIONWIDE. RESEARCH CANADA REACHES OUT TO BOTH THE CANADIAN PUBLIC AND MEDIA TO INFORM AND RAISE AWARENESS OF THE CRITICAL IMPORTANCE OF LONG-TERM, SUSTAINABLE HEALTH RESEARCH FUNDING AS AN INVESTMENT IN CANADA'S FUTURE.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
DEBORAH GORDON-EL-BIHBETY, PRESIDENT AND Chief Executive Officer
Organization's membership or classes of membershipTHE MEMBERSHIP OF RESEARCH CANADA, WORKING FOR ALL CANADIANS, IS DRAWN FROM ALL SECTORS DEDICATED TO INCREASING INVESTMENTS IN HEALTH RESEARCH, INCLUDING THE LEADING HEALTH RESEARCH INSTITUTES, NATIONAL HEALTH CHARITIES, HOSPITALS, REGIONAL HEALTH AUTHORITIES, UNIVERSITIES, PRIVATE INDUSTRY AND OTHERS.
Government fundingNo government funding was received during the last completed financial year.
In-house Organization Contact Information
1010 - 116 ALBERT STREET
OTTAWA, ON K1P 5G3
Fax number: 613-565-2278
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- RANJANA CHOPRA, EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT | No public offices held
- DEBORAH GORDON-EL-BIHBETY, PRESIDENT & CEO | No public offices held
- Janice Hall, Director of Public Affairs & Corporate Fundraising | No public offices held