- Research and Development
- Science and Technology
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit
- GOVERNMENT FUNDING: Advocate for increased health research funding through the three granting councils (Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, and Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada) and the Canada Research Coordinating Committee.
Policies or Program
- DIGITAL HEALTH SYSTEM: Advocate for investment in the digitalization of our health system so that high-quality data and digital technologies support healthcare decisions, empower patients as partners, and drive research and innovation.
- FEDERAL BUDGET CONSULTATION: Advocate for continued support of Canadian health research and health innovation through investments and commitments made in the federal budget, such as the Strategic Science Fund, the Canada Graduate Scholarship Program, etc.
- HEALTH RESEARCH: Focus on increasing public investments across the research spectrum of operating grants, people and infrastructure and encourages investments from private and private-not-for-profit sectors.
- INDIGENOUS RESEARCH: Advocate for greater investments in Indigenous health research through the three granting councils and the Canada Research Coordinating Committee.
- INDIRECT COSTS OF RESEARCH: Advocate for an increase to the minimum threshold for reimbursement of indirect research costs for all institutions via the Research Support Fund.
- INDUSTRY: Advocate for policies that enhance the health and biosciences sector’s capacity to do business in Canada and to invest in Canadian health research and commercialization.
- RESEARCH HOSPITALS: Advocate for direct support and stability for Canada's academic health science centres and research hospitals that will further enable them to fulfill their strategically critical contribution to Canada's health and economic security.
- YOUNG TRAINEES AND STUDENTS: Advocate for continued support of and investment in the next generation of highly skilled researchers through the federal awards system for doctoral students, post-doctoral trainees and fellows.
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
Finance Canada (FIN)
Health Canada (HC)
House of Commons
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
National Research Council (NRC)
Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
Patented Medicine Prices Review Board (PMPRB)
Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
Privy Council Office (PCO)
Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC)
Senate of Canada
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
Treasury Board Of Canada Secretariat (TBS)
Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
RESEARCH CANADA: AN ALLIANCE FOR HEALTH DISCOVERY, IS COMPRISED OF VOLUNTARY HEALTH AND RESEARCH ORGANIZATIONS/INSTITUTES, WITH A MISSION TO HELP CANADIANS MAINTAIN AND IMPROVE THEIR HEALTH BY ENSURING CANADA IS A WORLD LEADER IN HEALTH RESEARCH. RESEARCH CANADA IS A NOT-FOR-PROFIT, VOLUNTARY ORGANIZATION THAT IS A NATIONAL VOICE FOR HEALTH RESEARCH ADVOCACY IN CANADA. RESEARCH CANADA RECOGNIZES THAT HEALTH RESEARCH IMPROVES THE HEALTH OF CANADIANS, OFFERS A REAL OPPORTUNITY TO CONTAIN HEALTH CARE COSTS, AND CONTRIBUTES TO THE CREATION OF KNOWLEDGE-BASED JOBS AND ECONOMIC GROWTH. THE ORGANIZATION ENGAGES ALL SECTORS, INCLUDING GOVERNMENT, AND WORKS COLLABORATIVELY TO BUILD SUPPORT FOR HEALTH RESEARCH NATIONWIDE. RESEARCH CANADA REACHES OUT TO BOTH THE CANADIAN PUBLIC AND MEDIA TO INFORM AND RAISE AWARENESS OF THE CRITICAL IMPORTANCE OF LONG-TERM, SUSTAINABLE HEALTH RESEARCH FUNDING AS AN INVESTMENT IN CANADA'S FUTURE.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
PRESIDENT AND Chief Executive Officer
Organization's membership or classes of membership
THE MEMBERSHIP OF RESEARCH CANADA, WORKING FOR ALL CANADIANS, IS DRAWN FROM ALL SECTORS DEDICATED TO INCREASING INVESTMENTS IN HEALTH RESEARCH, INCLUDING THE LEADING HEALTH RESEARCH INSTITUTES, NATIONAL HEALTH CHARITIES, HOSPITALS, REGIONAL HEALTH AUTHORITIES, UNIVERSITIES, PRIVATE INDUSTRY AND OTHERS.
No government funding was received during the last completed financial year.
In-house Organization Contact Information
401 - 17 YORK STREET
OTTAWA, ON K1N 5S7
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- DEBORAH GORDON-EL-BIHBETY,
PRESIDENT & CEO |
No public offices held