Registration - In-house Organization
Merit Canada / Terrance Oakey, President
Total Number of Communication Reports: 218
Monthly communication reports in the last 6 months: 0
Version 7 of 11 (2013-10-15 to 2014-09-16)
- Taxation and Finance
Subject matters added through a monthly communication report
Subject Matter Details
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Lobbying for Parliamentary support for the passage of Bill C-201 An Act to amend the Income Tax Act (travel and accommodation deduction for tradespersons)
- Lobbying for parliamentary support for the passage of Bill 377 (AN ACT TO AMEND THE INCOME TAX ACT (REQUIREMENTS FOR LABOUR ORGANIZATIONS)
- Lobbying for parliamentary support for the passage of Bill C-525 (An Act to amend the Canada Labour Code, the Parliamentary Employment and Staff Relations Act and the Public Service Labour Relations Act (certification and revocation-bargaining agent)
Policies or Program, Regulation
- Mandate that all construction projects financed with federal funds must be tendered without any precondition requiring contractors to be signatory to any union or abide by the terms of a specific collective agreement.
- Under the Economic Immigrant Class Program changes to the relevant sections of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations as they pertain to the 'Point System'.
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Grass-roots communication
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada
- Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
- Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev)
- Finance Canada (FIN)
- House of Commons
- Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
- Senate of Canada
- Transport Canada (TC)
Government institutions added through a monthly communication report
- PPP Canada
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
Merit Canada was established in November 2008 as a united national voice for eight different provincial Open Shop construction associations. Merit Canada is federally incorporated under the Canada Corporations Act. It succeeds the Canadian Coalition of Open Shop Construction Associations which formed in 1999 to challenge the constitutionality of a compulsory union membership requirement to work in Quebec's construction industry. Merit Canada member organizations administer the largest multi-employer benefit plan in Canada's construction industry. Training and education programs will also be provided under a newly created Merit College of Construction.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Terrance Oakey, President
Organization's membership or classes of membershipMerit Canada is the national voice for eight provincial open-shop associations.
Government fundingNo government funding was received during the last completed financial year.
In-house Organization Contact Information
1 Rideau Street, Suite 700
Ottawa, ON K1N 8S7
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- Terrance Oakey, President | Public offices held