Registration - Consultant
Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities / Carmen Sterling, Member of the board of directors
Version 16 of 16 (2020-01-16 to present)
- Aboriginal Affairs
- Economic Development
- Employment and Training
- International Development
- International Trade
- Justice and Law Enforcement
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit
- Infrastructure: secure a long term federal funding program for municipalities.
- Need for additional funding programs for rural infrastructure.
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Actively lobbied and supported the federal governments efforts to resolve the trade issues regarding Country of Origin Labelling (COOL).
- Cannabis Act and regulations; mitigating potential risks to municipalities resulting from legalization.
- Carbon tax; impact of carbon tax on Saskatchewan’s agricultural producers and municipalities.
- Fisheries Act; ensure it effectively balances the need for habitat protection with the need for municipal infrastructure development.
- Navigation Protection Act; placed administrative and financial burdens on municipal infrastructure projects. SARM is concerned that the 2012 amendments will be reversed.
- Participating in consultations on reducing violent crime consultations and position against bringing in a long gun registry.
- SARA; mitigating negative effects of SARA.
- Trade Agreements; including Comprehensive Economic Trade Agreement (CETA) and United States Mexico Canada Agreement (USMCA), our request is to better international trade for agriculture producers.
- Transportation Modernization Act; SARM participating in consultation to promote efficient and effective grain transportation.
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution, Regulation
- Species at Risk Act - more consideration given regarding impact on producers and municipalities when species are included.
Policies or Program
- Agriculture: Business Risk Management Program Suite under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership - In particular requesting changes to the AgriStability Program to provide enhanced support for producers.
- Better access to sufficient Broadband Spectrum, cellular services etc. in rural needed.
- Broadband - requesting government investment to enhance services in rural Saskatchewan. “Use it or lose it” provisions in spectrum allocation and unused spectrum.
- Budget processes in regards to federal government timelines.
- Canadian Agriculture Partnership; ensuring that it serves to maintain and increase the competitiveness of the agricultural sector.
- Chronic wasting disease; policies to prevent the spread of chronic wasting disease.
- Disaster Financial Assistance Arrangements (DFAA); with respect to increasing the compensation for use of municipally owned equipment.
- Emergency response fund; the establishment of an emergency response fund will give fire departments the resources they need to continue providing essential services without risk of non-payment.
- Energy Infrastructure - Advancing the notion that pipelines safer mode of transportation than rail to the Canadian Energy Regulator.
- International Trade in respect to Canola exports.
- Mutual aid agreements; formalizing mutual aid agreements is important because RMs need assurance that they will be reimbursed for providing emergency services to neighbouring municipalities and First Nations.
- National Disaster Mitigation Program; to ensure mitigation projects and strategically and effectively undertaken.
- New Building Canada Fund; eligibility requirements and thresholds.
- Provide comments on the need for improvements to the Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) program.
- RCMP presence in rural Saskatchewan. Preventing rural crime.
- Rail Safety; Transporting dangerous goods by rail. Grade crossing improvements.
- Requesting federal government lead the fight to prevent spread of aquatic invasive species throughout Canada and Saskatchewan’s waters.
- Requests to maintain a Gas Tax Fund and to reduce related administrative requirements for RMs.
- Small business taxes in regard to their impact on municipalities.
- The Rural Municipal (RM) Tax Loss Compensation Trust Fund tied to Treaty Land Entitlement agreements continues to decrease and appears to be unsustainable without municipalities absorbing significant reduction in monies from the fund.
- Water treatment systems with respect to challenges in some rural municipalities.
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
- Canadian Energy Regulator (CER)
- Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA)
- Elections Canada
- Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
- Finance Canada (FIN)
- Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
- Health Canada (HC)
- House of Commons
- Impact Assessment Agency of Canada (IAAC)
- Indigenous Services Canada (ISC)
- Infrastructure Canada (INFC)
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
- International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
- Justice Canada (JC)
- NAFTA Secretariat
- Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)
- PPP Canada
- Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
- Public Safety Canada (PS)
- Senate of Canada
- Statistics Canada (StatCan)
- Transport Canada (TC)
End date of the last completed financial year: 2018-12-31
|Government Institution||Funding Received in Last Financial Year||Funding Expected in Current Financial Year|
|Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)||$2,631.00||Yes|
|Province of Saskatchewan - Immigration and Career Training||$17,775.38||Yes|
|Service Canada (ServCan)||$8,618.18||No|
Client Contact Information
2301 Windsor Park Road
Regina, SK S4V 3A4
Principal representative of the client
Jay Meyer, Executive Director
Parent Company Information
Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities is not a subsidiary of any other parent companies.
Coalition Members Information
Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities is not a coalition.
Person or Organization with a Direct Interest Beneficiary Information
The activities of Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities are not controlled or directed by another person or organization with a direct interest in the outcome of this undertaking.
Subsidiary Beneficiary Information
Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities does not have any subsidiaries that could have a direct interest in the outcome of the undertaking
Carmen Sterling | No public offices held
P.O. Box 476
Weyburn, SK S4H 2K3
Consultant relationship to the client
- The registrant is on the board of directors for this organization.