Registration - In-house Organization
Secular Connexion Séculière / Doug Thomas, President
Total Number of Communication Reports: 1
Monthly communication reports in the last 6 months: 0
Version 10 of 10 (2019-11-06 to present)
- Constitutional Issues
- International Development
- International Relations
- International Trade
- Justice and Law Enforcement
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit, Policies or Program
- International Development with regard to care for human rights of atheists and apostates in countries that receive aid or development resources from Canada
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Amend the National Anthems Act to replace words that exclude atheists and immigrants from singing O Canada.
- Constitutional issues: Section 93 of The Constitution Act of 1867 regarding minority school systems in Canadian provinces and territories, the theist wording of the National Anthems Act as it denies the right to freedom from religion (SCC Big M Drugs v. The Crown, 1984), Sections 296 and 319(3)(b) of the Criminal Code of Canada
- Criminal Code of Canada with respect to section section 319(3)(b) protecting religious advocated from prosecution for hate literature with claims of support from religious texts
- Lobby for changes to Bill C-14 to remove requirement for imminent death as a qualification for medically assisted death and to allow for powers of attorney for personal care to include directions for medically assisted suicide if the individual suffers from dementia when medically assisted suicide would be that individual's choice. Legislation should provide reasonable safeguards to protect people from exploitation and to protect the individual philosophies of medical personnel.
- Lobby for removal of section 319 3b of the Criminal Code of Canada to eliminate the exemption because of cited support from religious literature from prosecution under section 319 2 for delivering hate speech or literature.
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution, Policies or Program, Regulation
- Taxation and Finance regarding regulations enforced by the Charities Directorate of the Canada Revenue Agency in respect of requirements for and benefits of charitable status particularly in those areas where said regulations and interpretations of said regulations favour religious charities over humanist charities
Policies or Program
- International Relations: the position of the Canadian government regarding persecution of atheists and apostates in numerous countries
Policies or Program, Regulation
- International trade with regard to awareness of human rights violations under UN human rights guidelines and Canadian human rights standards in establishing and maintaining trade with countries that are known violators of UN and Canadian human rights standards particularly in regards to atheists and apostates.
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Grass-roots communication
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC)
- Canadian Heritage (PCH)
- Canadian Human Rights Commission (CHRC)
- Canadian Human Rights Tribunal (CHRT)
- Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
- House of Commons
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
- Justice Canada (JC)
- Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
- Senate of Canada
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
Advocate and lobby for humanist rights in Canada, specifically to amend those laws that discriminate against atheists or favour religions. Advocate for legislation that conforms to secular humanist ethical values such as personal rights and freedoms under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms including freedom from religion and of personal choice in life matters.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Doug Thomas, President
Organization's membership or classes of membershipSecular Connexion Séculière (SCS) does not have memberships, but relies on donations from secular humanists throughout Canada to support its work.
Government fundingNo government funding was received during the last completed financial year.
In-house Organization Contact Information
59 Arthur St. N.
Elmira, ON N3B 2A1
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- Doug Thomas, President | No public offices held