- Consumer Issues
- Employment and Training
- Financial Institutions
- Intellectual Property
- Internal Trade
- International Relations
- International Trade
- Science and Technology
- Small Business
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Grant, Contribution or Other Financial Benefit
- AGRICULTURE AND AGRI-FOOD CANADA - Advance Payments Program (APP), in respect to working to ensure horticultural producers receive cash advances without issue or delay.
- AGRICULTURE AND AGRI-FOOD CANADA - AgriStability, AgriRecovery and AgriInvest, in respect to helping Canadian horticultural producers obtain funds for production loss, and business risk management programs.
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- CANADA BORDER SERVICES AGENCY - Customs Act, in respect to the free importation and exportation of horticultural goods.
- CANADA BORDER SERVICES AGENCY - Special Import Measures Act (SIMA), in respect to the protection of Canadian horticultural producers from unfair foreign competition in the Canadian market place.
- CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY - Consumer Packaging and Labelling Act, in respect to food labelling, statements and claims.
- CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY - Plant Breeders' Rights Act, in respect to the length of time for retaining material rights and owner/agent ability to collect.
- CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY - Plant Protection Act, in respect of prevention of pests being imported, exported, and control and erradication.
- ENVIRONMENT CANADA - Canada Water Act, in respect of protection and access to fresh water resources.
- ENVIRONMENT CANADA - Canadian Environmental Protection Act, in respect to environmentally responsible farming.
- Employment and social development Canada (ESDC) - Employment Insurance Act, in respect to employment insurance for temporary/seasonal horticultural workers.
- FINANCE CANADA - federal budget, in respect to ensuring horticultural programs are adequately funded.
- HEALTH CANADA/PEST MANAGEMENT REGULATORY AGENCY - Pest Control Products Act, in respect of reducing risks to people and environment while using pesticides in horticultural production.
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution, Regulation
- CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY - Canadian Agricultural Products (CAP) Act including the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Regulations and the Licensing and Arbitration Regulations, in respect to ensuring proper licensing, grading, labelling, packaging of horticultural products for importation, exportation and interprovincial trade.
Policies or Program
- AGRICULTURE AND AGRI-FOOD CANADA - Golden Nematode Disaster Program for potato farmers affected.
- AGRICULTURE AND AGRI-FOOD CANADA - Growing Forward 2, obtaining contributions through various funding programs (AgriMarketing, AgriInnovation etc) for the continued success of the Canadian horticultural industry.
- AGRICULTURE AND AGRI-FOOD CANADA - Pesticide Risk Reduction Program, reducing risk of pesticides used in horticulture production.
- AGRICULTURE AND AGRI-FOOD CANADA - Production Insurance Program, ensuring affordable insurance for horticultural producers.
- AGRICULTURE AND AGRI-FOOD CANADA - User Requested Minor Use Pesticide Program, in respect to registration of new active ingredients and products already registered in another country.
- CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY - Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HAACP) guide for safety in food establishments.
- CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY - food safety, establishing minimum standards for producing safe food.
- Employment and social development Canada (ESDC) - Seasonal Agricultural Workers Program (SAWP), in respect to ensuring adequate seasonal labour.
- Employment and social development Canada (ESDC) - Temporary Foreign Worker Program, to ensure adequate work force for horticulture in Canada.
- Foreign Affairs and Trade Development Canada (DFATD) - Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA), to ensure free markets for goods and services in the Americas.
- Foreign Affairs and Trade Development Canada (DFATD) - North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) in respect to ensuring free trade between Canada, US and Mexico of horticultural products.
- Foreign Affairs and Trade Development Canada (DFATD) - World Trade Organization (WTO), representing Canadian horticulture at WTO meetings.
- Foreign Affairs and Trade Development Canada DFATD - Canada-US Free Trade Agreement, in respect to ensuring fair and ethical trading between the two nations.
- HEALTH CANADA/PEST MANAGEMENT REGULATORY AGENCY - Grower Requested Own Use Program (GROU), helping to ensure access to US versions of registered pest products in Canada.
- HEALTH CANADA/PEST MANAGEMENT REGULATORY AGENCY - Maximum Residue Limits (MRLs), in respect to ensuring pest control products meeting MRL guidelines are available for use in Canada.
- HEALTH CANADA/PEST MANAGEMENT REGULATORY AGENCY - Own Use Import Program (OUI), ensuring access to pest management products for Canadian horticultural producers.
- INDUSTRY CANADA - Agreement on Internal Trade Implementation Act, in respect to ensuring free movement of horticultural products between all provinces and territories.
- Members of the House of Commons - Direct communication with MPs on CHC's activities and initiatives.
- Prime Minister's Office (PMO) - Direct communication with PMO on CHC's activities and initiatives.
- Privy Council Office (PCO) - Direct communication with PCO on CHC's activities and initiatives.
- STATISTICS CANADA - Census on Agriculture, ensuring accurate data for the Canadian horticultural industry.
- Senate of Canada - Direct communication with Senators on CHC's activities and initiatives.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
Farm Products Council of Canada (FPCC)
Finance Canada (FIN)
Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
Health Canada (HC)
House of Commons
Members of the House of Commons
Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA)
Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
Privy Council Office (PCO)
Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC)
Senate of Canada
Service Canada (ServCan)
Statistics Canada (StatCan)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
THE CANADIAN HORTICULTURAL COUNCIL (CHC) IS A VOLUNTARY, NOT-FOR-PROFIT, NATIONAL ASSOCIATION REPRESENTING THE DYNAMIC AND DIVERSE SECTOR OF HORTICULTURE. ACROSS CANADA, CHC MEMBERS ARE PRIMARILY INVOLVED IN THE PRODUCTION AND PACKING OF OVER 120 HORTICULTURE CROPS COMPRISED OF FRUIT, VEGETABLES.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT
Organization's membership or classes of membership
MEMBERS INCLUDE PRODUCER ORGANIZATIONS, AFFILIATED INDUSTRY ASSOCIATIONS, PROVINCIAL DEPARTMENTS OF AGRICULTURE, ALLIED INDUSTRY AND INDIVIDUAL COMPANIES. CURRENTLY HAVE APPROXIMATELY 105 MEMBERS.
No government funding was received during the last completed financial year.
In-house Organization Contact Information
2200 Prince of Wales Drive
OTTAWA, ON K2E 6Z9
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- ANNE FOWLIE,
EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT |
No public offices held