Registration - In-house Organization
Dairy Farmers of Canada / Les Producteurs laitiers du Canada / Jacques Lefebvre, Chief Executive Officer
Version 84 of 84 (2019-11-04 to present)
- Consumer Issues
- Internal Trade
- International Development
- International Relations
- International Trade
- Research and Development
- Science and Technology
Subject Matter Details
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution
- Agreement on Internal Trade - Review of Chapter 9
- Canada-EU Trade Agreement EU stands for European Union. The components within this negotiation that we are interested in are agriculture and protection/exemption of supply management.
- Food and Drug Act and its accompanying regulations as it applies to the labelling and grading of dairy products
- Implementation of Special Agricultural Safeguard for supply-managed products, dairy products in particular.
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution, Policies or Program, Regulation
- Climate Change / Environment Farm practices for greenhouse gas mitigation; documenting programs that exist provincially and federally that are available to dairy producers; promoting best management practices
- Implementation of new tariff rate quotas for milk protein isolates as per GATT Article XXVIII, Amendment to Customs Tariff (tariff line 3504). Work with Finance Canada, AAFC and DFAIT on implementation and allocation of said TRQ.
- Research Under "Growing Forward", the federal Minister of Agriculture and Agri-food announced a research cluster, in cooperation with Dairy Farmers of Canada, worth $12M.
- Traceability Under "Growing Forward", the establishment of regulations for traceability. Collaborating with provincial and federal governments in the determination of private and public interests and in discussions with Ministers re government/industry share of costs.
Policies or Program
- Animal Health - development of the National Farmed Animal Health Strategy with CFIA
- Development of the Code of Practice for the Care and handling of Dairy Cattle in cooperation with CFIA's activities in OIE (Organisation mondiale de la Santé Animale)
- Discretionary Food Fortification policy of Health Canada. DFC has particular interest in the discretionary food fortification of non-nutritious foods and vitamin fortification of dairy products
- Explicit and implied Health Claims related to dairy and non-dairy products
- Growing Forward This is a federal-provincial agreement with oversight for many of our issues (Business Risk Management, Research, etc.)
- Product of Canada consultations Dairy Farmers of Canada participated in federal government consultations on regulations pertaining to "Product of Canada".
- Quality Milk Program - Implementation and administration of the Quality Milk Program under the Canadian On-Farm Food Safety Program of AAFC.
- Trans fats / Sodium as it relates to dairy products, Food Guide recommendations and nutritional labelling.
- Use of Veterinary Natural Health Products in dairy livestock production - Veterinary Drugs Directorate of Health Canada
- WTO (World Trade Organization) Negotiations on Agriculture as it relates to supply management.
Policies or Program, Regulation
- Guide for Food labelling and Advertising in respect of all dairy products and use of dairy terminology (modifiers, highlighted ingredients)
- Ingredients Industry stakeholders discussion on domestic ingredient strategy, pricing of components, marketing of ingredients. Involves discussions with the Canadian Dairy Commission.
- Canadian Agricultural Products Act and Dairy Products Regulations with respect to standards for cheese;
- Canadian Agricultural Products Act and Dairy Products Regulations with respect to standards for ice cream
- Canadian Agricultural Products Act and Dairy Products Regulations with respect to standards for yogourt
- Discretionary Food Fortification Governed by Food and Drug Act and the Agricultural Products Marketing Act
- Food and Drug Act and its accompanying regulations as they apply to all dairy product compositional standards, in particular those on cheese and yogourt;
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Grass-roots communication
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
- Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
- Canadian Dairy Commission (CDC)
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)
- Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT)
- Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
- Farm Products Council of Canada (FPCC)
- Finance Canada (FIN)
- Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
- Health Canada (HC)
- House of Commons
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
- Justice Canada (JC)
- NAFTA Secretariat
- Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
- Privy Council Office (PCO)
- Public Safety Canada (PS)
- Rural Economic Development (Minister’s Office)
- Senate of Canada
- Statistics Canada (StatCan)
- Treasury Board Of Canada Secretariat (TBS)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
Dairy Farmers of Canada (DFC) is the national lobby, policy and promotion organization representing all dairy producers in Canada. The main objective of DFC is to promote the interests of producers by coordinationg the actions of dairy producer organizations on all issues of national scope and collaborating with relevant agencies in the elboration of national policies affecting the Canadian dairy industry. The promotional objective is to increase the sale sof dairy products to the financial benefit of producers and the health benefit of consumers.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Jacques Lefebvre, Chief Executive Officer
Organization's membership or classes of membershipDFC represents all Canadian milk producers through its 12 provincial member organizations and the Canadian Dairy Network.
Government fundingNo government funding was received during the last completed financial year.
In-house Organization Contact Information
21 Florence St.
Ottawa, ON K2P 0W6
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- THERESE BEAULIEU, ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS | No public offices held
- LUCIE BÉRUBÉ, ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, NUTRITION, PROVINCIAL PROGRAM | No public offices held
- LUCIE BOILEAU, DIRECTOR, COMMUNICATIONS | No public offices held
- STEVE COUTURE, ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, POLICY & ECONOMICS | No public offices held
- ÉMIE DÉSILETS, SCIENTIFIC COORDINATOR | No public offices held
- PAULA DUNLOP, CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER | No public offices held
- JOANNE GALLAGHER, ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, NUTRITION | No public offices held
- PAMELA HARROD, GENERAL COUNSEL AND CORPORATE SECRETARY | Public offices held
- BETH HICKEY, DIRECTOR, STRATEGIC INITIATIVES | No public offices held
- DAVID LAUER, ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, COMMUNICATIONS | No public offices held
- MARIE LY, DIRECTOR, POLICY & ECONOMICS | Public offices held
- BOBBY MATHESON, VICE PRESIDENT, ADVOCACY | Public offices held
- BRIAN MORRISON, ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, GOVERNMENT RELATIONS | No public offices held
- ISABELLE NEIDERER, DIRECTOR, NUTRITION | No public offices held
- LOUIS-CHARLES ROY, DIRECTOR, GOVERNMENT RELATIONS & STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS | Public offices held
- ERIK TREMBLAY, SPECIAL ADVISOR, GOVERNMENT RELATIONS & INTERNATIONAL TRADE | No public offices held
- ANNIE VÉZINA, NATIONAL PROGRAM MANAGER, NUTRITION, PARTNERSHIPS AND REGULATORY AFFAIRS | No public offices held