- Justice and Law Enforcement
Subject Matter Details
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution, Policies or Program
- Roadside Drug Screening (CAPG) will be asking the Government of Canada to improve the safety of Canada’s roadways by approving a drug-screening tool to enhance investigation and prosecution of drug impaired driving
Policies or Program
- CAPG is carrying on discussions with Minister of Public Safety and others about Mental Health Strategy for the escalation of police response to mental health related calls and the impact it has on police resources and local government budgets.
- CAPG participates with department and ministry staff in discussions on First Nations Policing, including governance and funding.
- CAPG will be asking that the Minister of Health Canada implement a formal process to consult with local police authorities prior to granting or extending a licence to produce marihuana and to advise police authorities that a licence has been issued in its jurisdiction.
- De-escalation Training - CAPG will be asking Public Safety Canada's advice on ensuring common standards across the country related to the use of de-escalation techniques in police response to persons experiencing mental health crisis and to require that all Canadian police agencies provide mandatory de-escalation training to their members and to also ensure that police agencies place maximum emphasis on effective verbal de-escalation techniques in all aspects of police training. We will also be asking that a
common practice of reporting to the governing body of the police agency use-of-force incidents resulting in bodily harm to persons experiencing mental health crisis be developed.
- Economics of Policing. Canadian Association of Police Governance (CAPG) is liaising with Public Safety staff and continues ongoing discussions with Ministry staff on advancing the Shared Forward Agenda on the Economics of Policing. CAPG participates regularly on the Shared Forward Agenda Committee with the Assistant Deputy Minister Kathy Thompson.
Policies or Program, Regulation
- CAPG is seeking to have the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness to review the issue of the sharing of mental health information placed on the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) by Canadian policing authorities and the use being made of such information by U.S. border officials, to ensure such information is not being used for an improper purpose
Correctional Service of Canada (CSC)
Health Canada (HC)
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
Justice Canada (JC)
Members of the House of Commons
Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (OPC)
Prime Minister's Office (PMO)
Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada (PSEPC)
Public Safety Canada (PS)
Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)
Senate of Canada
Solicitor General Canada (SGC)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
The Canadian Association of Police Governance is the national organization representing police boards and commissions charged with mandate of promoting best practices in police governance. It holds an annual conference, provides information bulletins and a quarterly newsletter, and presents issues to federal officials on behalf of its membership.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Organization's membership or classes of membership
The Canadian Association of Police Governance has one class of membership. Membership is open to municipal boards/commissions, provincial and federal government branches responsible for policing, educational institutions delivering law enforcement curriculum and associate membership open to Royal Canadian Mounted Police or other local advisory or community consultative committees.
End date of the last completed financial year:
List of Government Funding
Funding Received in Last Financial Year
Funding Expected in Current Financial Year
Public Safety Canada (PS)
In-house Organization Contact Information
157 Gilmour Street
Ottawa, ON K2P 0N8
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- Jennifer Malloy,
Executive Director |
No public offices held