- Consumer Issues
- Economic Development
- Employment and Training
- Intellectual Property
- Internal Trade
- International Relations
- International Trade
- Research and Development
- Science and Technology
- Taxation and Finance
Subject Matter Details
Legislative Proposal, Bill or Resolution, Regulation
- Bill C-18, the Agricultural Growth Act, with respect to amendments to the Plant Breeders' Rights Act, and the Seeds Act
Policies or Program
- Agriculture and AgriFood Canada programs to support a role for private sector investment in agricultural resarch.
- CFIA BIOSAFETY OFFICE - Developing a science and risk based assessment and management system for the low level presence of material containing unapproved genetically modified events.
A domestic policy and to advocate an internationally accepted standard to facilitate trade.
- EMPLOYMENT AND TRAINING - enhancement of Seasonal Agricultural Workers programming
- HEALTH CANADA Pest Management Review Agency (PMRA) MINOR USE REGISTRATIONS, Participate in AAFC Minor Use Priority Setting meeting each April. The purpose is to include seed tratment products in the Minor use program.
- INTERNATIONAL TRADE
bi-lateral and multilateral trade agreements - re seed tariffs, intellectual property and low level presence of GM material
- Participate in the Industry Advisory Group to the Market Access Secretariat, to advise on international market access and trade issues.
- STATISTICS CANADA SEED IMPORT AND EXPORT CODES AND STATISTICS, Annually update the codes to be used by Exporters of Seed
Policies or Program, Regulation
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Foreign Affairs and International Trade with respect to tariff rate quotas on imports of seed
- Business Risk Management Programming - the link to the use of certified seed as a risk reduction tool
- CFIA ANIMAL FEEDS DIVISION
Identification of novel feeds
- CFIA BIOSAFETY OFFICE
Novel food, feed and plants with novel traits
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency with respect to import directives and policies affecting the import and domestic trade of seed
- Canadian Participation in Standard Setting Bodies - assisting regulators to ensure that international standards do not hinder international trade.
- Health Canada Pest Management Regulatory Agency with respect to seed borne insecticides and pollinator protection
- Low Level Presence of GM crops -advise the interdepartmental working group charged with developing domestic LLP policy and for international outreach on LLP. CSTA's focus is on LLP in seed.
- CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY (CFIA) AMENDMENTS TO SEEDS REGULATIONS AND VARIETY REGISTRATION Variety Registration Regulations with regard to Crop Placement of oilseed soybeans and forage species, Weed Seed Order, Grade Tables, Variety Deregistration , Review of the Seed Certification System and development of alternate service delivery systems for field inspections.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency (CEAA)
Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)
Farm Credit Canada (FCC)
Finance Canada (FIN)
Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
Health Canada (HC)
House of Commons
Members of the House of Commons
Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC)
Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA)
Senate of Canada
Standards Council of Canada (SCC)
Statistics Canada (StatCan)
In-house Organization Details
Description of the organization's activities
THE CSTA IS AN ASSOCIATION OF SEED COMPANIES INVOLVED IN THE BREEDING, MULTIPLICATION, PRODUCTION, CONDITIONING, MERCHANDISING AND TRADING SEED. MANY MEMBER COMPANIES HAVE SUBSTANTIAL INVESTMENT IN RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT AND ARE ENGAGED IN INTERNATIONAL TRADE.
Responsible officer name and position during the period of this registration
Chief Executive Officer
Organization's membership or classes of membership
ACTIVE MEMBERS ARE INDIVIDUALS, FIRMS, AND CORPORATIONS MADE UP OF PLANT BREEDERS, SEED PROCESSORS, MARKETING AND SALES, SEED BROKERS AND OTHERS WHOSE PRIMARY BUSINESS IS DEALING IN OR SELLING SEED AND SEED RELATED PRODUCTS OR SERVICES. ASSOCIATE MEMBERS PROVIDE SERVICES TO THE MEMBERS COMPANIES OF THE CSTA. AFFILIATE MEMBERS ARE ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS WITH INTERESTS IN COMMON WITH THE CSTA.
End date of the last completed financial year:
List of Government Funding
Funding Received in Last Financial Year
Funding Expected in Current Financial Year
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
In-house Organization Contact Information
2039 Robertson Road
Ottawa, ON K2H 8R2
Lobbyists employed by the organization
- David Carey,
Stakeholder Relations Coordinator |
Public offices held
- Patty Townsend,
Chief Executive Officer |
No public offices held